R380 Cross member. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

R380 Cross member.

Ok, so this is dragging on and i keep hitting "little" show stoppers. Thanks to Buckon, i have an R380 cross member for the new R380 that is still sitting on my garage floor. Borrowed a porta press this weekend as we going to get the corss member in place so that i could get the transmission and transfer box bolted in place.
BUT, upon inspection i cannot figure out the actual installation position for this.
Here is the deal, My frame is from a 1983 ex-mod that used to have an lt-77 and 2.5 na in it. I removed the old crossmember that was in there, wich was just a big square piece of tubing with flanges on either end with four bolts. That bolt pattern does not seem to match up with the R380 Crossmember brace that i can see. (two bolt holes near the top of the frame, and two bolt holes in a flange welded to the frame directly under the ones in the frame).
Does any one know if there is a difference if frames? do i have to drill holes? and if so, does any one know where exactly they go? I want to try and get this to be as close to factory as possible...
thanks
c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

300 tdi cross member

Ok, so after some searching and guessing i mounted the cross member.
I hope that it is in correct place, but i thought i would show and tell, and hope that if it wrong someone will point it out
so as you can see in the pic, i have mounted it to where the old mounting brackets where for the LT77 and transfer case were.
I also had to make some modifications to the existing crossmember, as my floor mounting brackets extended down and in the way..
If you have any comments, or if this is wrong please let me know
thanks
craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	40091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	40092  

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:16 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Do you need to remove the bell housing cross member? Is the R380 cross member in addition to and not instead of the bell housing cross member? Not absolutely sure myself, thought I'd just throw this thought into the equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:43 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

it should line up with the three holes that are in a triangular pattern that are in all landy frames and the one larger hole in the front will line with the rear hole where the v8 crossmember would be.
From the photos I'd say your good. Odd that you had to modify the seatbox mtngs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
r380