R380 clutch Drag - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2011, 10:00 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

R380 clutch Drag

Ok.. you will have to excuse me.. but the title is a descriptor in more then one way.. Enough with the bad puns..
So, i have got the Engine in and running..This weekend will do a boost test, and RPM check and go from there. But as it stands it starts and runs fantastic..Go to put it in gear, and to my surprise no go.
I cannot get the tranny to go into gear.. and if i start it in gear with my foot on the clutch ( there is no jump) it slowly creeps forward.
The Tranny has a new Slave, Pushrod, clutch etc. But I have found that there are two slaves/push rods for this tranny in the parts book. the only issue is that they use the vin of the vehicle to say which you need.
So i am wondering if any one out there has a way to tell what tranny #'s take which slave cyl?
thanks
craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Ok, Did a little more research, and am not really any further ahead.. But Does anyone know if i have to change out the Clutch Pedal Assembly, from the original (1983) to the newer style that was used from 1987 onwards? Anyone that has done a 300tdi with R380 swap, please weigh in and let me know what you replace in regards to the Clutch...
thanks
craig
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Its not the pedal assembly. Pushrod length is important. But I doubt you have the wrong pushrod.

Think your clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel and pressure plate. Rust my friend. You may be able to drive it and get it to release. But you may have to pull it apart and clean the parts up.

Always inspect these components on a used engine before installation. It may be busy work, but better then going backwards so far.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Pendy,
thanks for the reply.
the clutch was new, with no rust on it, and the flywheel was buffed and cleaned before assembly before this.
I can get the vehicle into a gear ie second, if i pump the clutch like mad, and time the shift correctly.
And when we remove the slave cylinder from the tranny and puch the clutch in there is not alot of movement in the Slave cylinder. Which leads us to believe that there is not enough travel somewhere to fully break the clutch from the flywheel... like the thrust bearing is not pushing on the fingers enough..
We have bleed the clutch a couple times, and are not getting anymore air out of the system..
I am hopping that someone here may have some insight, or perhaps someone knows the length of thier push rod.. or at least which push rod and slave cyl they have installed..
Also if anyone knows, what Tranny numbers were used for which vehicle vins that would be amazing.
thanks
craig
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

The two push rods also go with different Slave Cylinders.
FTC5072 - Slave Cylinder to 56A0669086K
FTC5202 - Slave Cylinder 56A0669087K onward
FTC3912 - Push rod to 56A0669086K
FTC5199 - Push rod 56A0669087K onward

I'm assuming you have all the other correct bits inside the bell housing, like release arm, guide for the release bearing, etc.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, r380