Quieting a 300 Tdi - QuietCar coatings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Quieting a 300 Tdi - QuietCar coatings

I wrote earlier that i was going to try QuietCar on the bonnet underside to quiet the 300 Td.i After much hesitation (it was newly painted and pristine) I finally did. It goes on very easily, with minimal overspray and takes about 7 days to cure. I used 1/2 gallon ($58 per gallon) and it added about 5 pounds to the bonnet weight. The bonnet definitely feels more substantial now and I think it did help quiet the underhood noises but the biggest improvements came from the thick rubber firewall pads and floor mats that RN sells. Only drawback is that they need some help staying up in hot weather. They simply buckle and fall on your toes unless you anchor them some way. Also a Magnaflow flow-through muffler took the sharpest rap out of the exhaust and with no loss of power.
I think the QuietCar helps and would be excellent sprayed on the inside of the doors where you would put DynaMat. It is black and looks a lot like Line-X or Rhino coatings. I've used Dynamat on the doors before which helped the output from the door speakers substantially and the doors then close with a satisfying "thunk".
If I could find a good sound absorbent material to glue to the Quietcar I think I would be doing about all I could to quiet the D90. Any ideas?

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have always dyna mated my doors. IT is a great improvement just on shutting the doors alone. IT makes them feel so much better and I'm sure helps with some noise. I want to do under the bonnet next.

Randy
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

LizardSkin

Hey - I have some Diesel Unimog friends who've used lizardskin with good results - spray on and forget...

http://www.lizardskin.com/index.php

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

QuietCar

On the LizardSkin

Looks similar to and the description sounds like QuietCar. It seem to me a much better process than cutting and sticking Dynamat to surfaces.
I will spray my doors eventually too.

Clark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi