quieting a 300 TDi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

quieting a 300 TDi

Now that I have the 300 TDi installed I'm looking at ways to quiet the underhood noises down a bit. I couldn't find an existing thread on this and would like to hear any ideas and sources. Hopefully Stateside, in case you haven't seen the value of the British Pound these days.

Thanks,

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
nas110_300tdi
nas110_300tdi
NAS D110

I am interested in this also. I remember seeing a pic of a 300TDI Defender with a factory-looking, fitted sound barrier on the underside of the bonnet. I wonder where one can source this from?

Also, I wonder if some Dynamat Extreme or Hoodliner would make any difference?
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

I think that under hood temps might be to much for the adhesive that holds dynamat or similar material to the bonnet. I think that I might install some on the inside of my bulkhead to help with the noise. Have you done anything with your doors also? I found that it helps with the noise all round as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm only a month or two away from buying a gallon of Second Skin Spectrum spray for the bulkhead and floors, and a gallon of Second Skin Firewall to apply to the engine side bulkhead, under the bonnet and under the floorboards and seat box. they can be painted on with a brush, layered until your happy, resists water/chemicals, and protect from corrosion. I'll report out when I complete. would love to hear if anyone has used those products. sound a helluva lot better than rhinolining.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Some of us have done dynamat extreme with another layer of their hoodliner. Though I don't know how much it really quiets anything down. You'd have to do the entire cab including the bulkhead, floor boards, rear tub, roof. Having done it, I wouldn't bother. Just adds needless weight.

The only merit of doing the hoodliner in my opinion is cutting down on the griddle affect of the hood on warm days.

pic
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Now that I have the 300 TDi installed I'm looking at ways to quiet the underhood noises down a bit. I couldn't find an existing thread on this and would like to hear any ideas and sources. Hopefully Stateside, in case you haven't seen the value of the British Pound these days.

Thanks,

Clark
Try turning it off.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Why Are We All Shouting?

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

RAAM Audio

I was pesonnaly looking to do something significant for a temperature barrier and sound deadenig. And after much thoughts and research, I ended up going with this company. I will be using the RAAM mat BXT overlayed with their Ensolite MLC in the entire cab section plus some marine engine compartment liner for the under hood. I have the entire truck in pieces right now so that makes it realy easy for me to sound deaden. Hopefuly it will make it more comfy for long trips, and make the cab nice and toasty from the Webasto heater next winter.

Nice link to check up :

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

My 0.2 cents

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
I was pesonnaly looking to do something significant for a temperature barrier and sound deadenig. And after much thoughts and research, I ended up going with this company. I will be using the RAAM mat BXT overlayed with their Ensolite MLC in the entire cab section plus some marine engine compartment liner for the under hood.
Pat
Pat, how did the RAAMmat work out?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have added SecondSkin to my seat box, floors and bulkhead, and I have 2 sheets of Luxury Liner pro (also Second Skin) that I'm going to add to my cabin bulkhead and front floors. I'll report on effect. Second Skin experts have stated that Luxury Liner will be the single most effective sound barrier for diesel noise. I'll report on effect once installed.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Well ...

I went the Second Skin Audio way, not much price difference when you think about how much it takes for a CrewCab in my case. So I got some Damplifier Pro and some Luxury Liner to do the top half of the bulkhead, top, back window frame, aft bulkhead and doors. The rest of the truck is getting Line-Xed.

It will be posted in my build post in the next week or two.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi