QuietCar noise and vibration reducer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

QuietCar noise and vibration reducer

I started a thread a while ago about quieting a 300 Tdi and everyone seemed somewhat fatalistic about the noise. Then I remembered researching these guys about a year ago. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff. It seems ilike a good way to undercoat the bonnet and reduce the clatter.

http://www.quietcoat.com/html/compare_to_dynamat.html

Also, boy do I love the 300Tdi in the D90. I don't feel like I've given up any power/performance to the V8 and I know I'm going to like the mileage. Credit Shane Ballensky @ Roverhybrids for a great job on rebuilding the vehicle from the frame up and tweaking the motor.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Is your's the one he painted green? Honestly, it seems like he turned that project around pretty fast considering that your truck was completely disassembled and rebuilt. I met you at his shop on what was I think the day you dropped it off, and then I saw it a couple more times since then on various stops. He had made huge progress on it each time. Post some pix, lets see that sucker.

Also, have you considered the Molded Matting System from Exmoor:

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#859X4780

Pacific Custom Land Rovers sells the stuff, and I think it would cut down the noise dramatically.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
FYI on the molded matting system. I was ready to pull the trigger on that, and called Atlantic British, who is the US distributor for Exmoor, as they only featured the Series II/III version of the molded matting system, and I wanted confirm availability of the defender system. They told me that the system is NOT compatible with NAS defenders, due to this, that and the other thing. Only Euro (or elsewhere) spec Defenders. I don't know why, and was dissappointed in that. If someone has verified proof that it does work, I'm all ears, but that's a lot of coin to drop on something that won't fit right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen

QuietCar

Hello Jim..........................

Yes, that was me you met in Redding and the 1994 D90 is the vehicle Shane rebuilt and modified.
I'll send some before and after pictures in the next few days.
I did check with RN and they have a 3 piece version of the thick molded rubber/plastic mats for about $350 total. I preferred the one piece full-coverage mat, but couldn't find it for the NAS D90.

Clark
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:14 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

For 60 bucks for a gallon, I may try that on the underside of my seatbox, floors and bonnet.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

QueitCar

I ordered two gallons and a sprayer this morning after talking with the company.
I'll let you know how it works.
Evidently it looks like Line - X or Rhino Lining when it is applied and can be painted. If I like it under the bonnet I'm going to do the doors too. The 20 decibel drop is supposed to occur with a 3 mil coat - that's incredibly thin to my mind but that's all they say is needed.

Clark
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
3 things I wonder about in regards to QuietCar: how much added weight, can it be removed and how often will you need to reapply?
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

QuietCar

I don't know about removing it. I assumed it is like Line-X. Can't easily be removed.
It is supposed to be fairly light judging by the weight of a gallon applied - 8.5lbs according to the website.
The company says it is a one-shot application. Doesn't need to be re-applied.
Evidently it works as a vibration/sound transmission reducer rather than a sound absorber. We'll see.

Clark
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't want to be the one to tell you there is no tooth fairy, but I wouldn't expect it to work. Back when I wanted the defender to be my daily driver, I went through what you are trying. I had a hard top, I coated the undercarriage, firewall, wheel wells, and complete interior with a 3M product called Body Schutz (same stuff car man. use for sound deadening on the undercarrage). Then I layed carpet throughout, with extra .5in thick padding under all of it. Then I took out the battery box and coated all the walls with sprayable rubber. Then I sprayed the underside of the hood with more body schutz and layed down 1/4 rubbber mat and then taped over that with heat shield tape. Then I replaced my muffler with a "quieter" brand. Lastly I replaced every seal with new.

You know what this all gained me? Jack Sh*t. There was almost no noise reduction. You are driving the auto equivalent of a Dr Pepper. There is nothing that will help you other than a really loud stereo or Bose noise reduction head phones. Don't waste your money. Plus, the stuff turned out to be really annoying and I had one hell of a time grinding it all out when I went with the bedliner.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

QuietCar

Buck wrote: "you are driving the auto equivalent of a Dr Pepper"

OK, I give up, what does that mean? (I don't drink Dr. Pepper and I haven't seen any of their commercials)

Clark
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Buck wrote: "you are driving the auto equivalent of a Dr Pepper"

OK, I give up, what does that mean? (I don't drink Dr. Pepper and I haven't seen any of their commercials)

Clark
Well if you not a Dr. Pepper fan, Coke, pepsi, Coors, ect will work. The point is that you are driving an Aluminum can.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Well if you not a Dr. Pepper fan, Coke, pepsi, Coors, ect will work. The point is that you are driving an Aluminum can.
LMAO
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

QuietCar

two things...............

What the heck does "LMAO" stand for?
Everything I could think of was obscene or insulting.

Also, I did DynaMat my D90 doors and used the heavy rubber bulkhead moulding mats that RN sells before I rolled it (and it had a V8) and it was definitely quieter. So there's still hope after I do the same thing and spray the inside of the bonnet with QuietCar. We
ll see. I'm still in positive mode.

Clark
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
two things...............

What the heck does "LMAO" stand for?
Everything I could think of was obscene or insulting.

Also, I did DynaMat my D90 doors and used the heavy rubber bulkhead moulding mats that RN sells before I rolled it (and it had a V8) and it was definitely quieter. So there's still hope after I do the same thing and spray the inside of the bonnet with QuietCar. We
ll see. I'm still in positive mode.

Clark
I wish you the best of luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

LMAO stand for Laugh My Ass Off...

Old July 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Hey CBD

You posted a while back about the QuiteCar you were going to use on your truck, I was wondering how it worked out? Many questions, texture, color, ease of use, and of couse how much it deadened the noise. I just took out my old nasty headliner and was hoping to spray my SW top with QuiteCAr.
Thanks
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I too would be interested to see what your results were. I was thinking of trying this stuff: http://silentcoating.com/ It looks similar and supposedly works very well.
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

On the QuietCar:
Stuff is easy to spray on with minimal overspray. I put on about 4 coats and the bonnet is now 5-10 lbs heavier for it. It looks good. Black and somewhat like Line-X.
Yes, it helps the sound, but the heavy rubber footwell pads that RN sells work much better to cut down the noise. I think Quietcar would be very good inside the doors and underneath a headliner but I already had DynaMat there.
I think one reason why the under-bonnet stuff doesn't work too well is because the noise reflects off the ground, underneath the bonnet where it closes on the wings, and all the other leaky LR spots.
Guess I've just learned to live with the rattle on the highway and I love it a slow speeds.

Clark
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thanks, the headliner is where i really need it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions