quiet? mufflers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500
quiet? mufflers

I read some threads this week about mufflers and people changing them out to get some sound. Mine is getting to the replacement stage in the next few months, so I thought I would ask if anyone has recommendations on a quiet muffler? will the flowmaster versions on the quiet end work?

My rig has always sounded the way it does but I didnt know if I could gain some sound reduction by a decent muffler(the one on there is crap) or not. I know the truck is noisy but I thought I could help it a bit.

Old January 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE
I dunno. Most of the premium after-market mufflers emphasize there "performance" aspect, and intentionally minimize their sound attenuation capabilities.

Old January 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

I have a Borla it is not quiet. my wife says she has enough time to get dinner on the table when she hears me coming. I don't think it's that loud. just my.02.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop
Yea I have the borla too. On the highway you get a nice hum that drowns out the stereo. Its not the loudest muffler out there but at certain rpm's its pretty loud. Sounds great though.
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
A while back I got a muffler from midas, just a "stock" replacement for my 90. It was not too loud and cheep . I found the flowmasters a bit on the attention grabbing side... but to each his own.

If you want a part number I can dig it up... let me know.
You could also look in to having an additional scilencer installed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions