Quick question, softtop bar clips face which way? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2006, 05:55 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Quick question, softtop bar clips face which way?

My truck had no softop bar for the tailgate. I picked one up from a member with the plastic clips.
I would think the hollow portion of the plastic clips would face inward/forward, but I could see if facing the other way also.

Anyway, before I take the speakers out and drill/punch thru the Rhino lining I wanted to make sure I had the orientation correct.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Look in Tech section on this site - Soft Top install. Pg 5 of 16 shows clip install.
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Thanks
Did a search didn't pop up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Inwards facing. Once in, look at any gap, go to hardward store, buy weathering strip
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
1) It takes no extra weatherstripping to make a ST seal up fine.

2) The open part of the clip faces rearward, so that the bar snaps in from the rear. It snaps in quite positively and you have to open the door and smack it from the inside to pop it off. Once you slide the bar onto the rear window you'll see that the channel faces forward and only really leaves the possibility to install the clips facing rearward.
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Jim, what do you have there on your 95? I run a 1/2 inch strip to cover the gap the between the tail gate top and the bar at the rear window. Mine does not seal up fine - but it is an old top and I am just used to it. As to point 2, interesting. I clip mine in reverse from your description. Looking at the bar, it seems to makes no diff. Just an interesting varient on D-90 set up?
Now if I could only fix the rivers that enter my truck when the fast back is on it - see avatar.
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Is the rubber seal still present on your tailgate bar? The seal on mine fills the space nicely. I notice it slides out easily, so it could conceivably be lost.

I'm not even sure how you insert the bar to make it fit if you install the clips backwards. I'd go check it out but my wife just had a baby...
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Good god man, where are your priorities! A baby grows towards independance at age 18 (well legally) while a Land Rover grows away from independance at approximately the same rate so by 18 yrs old it needs a lot more loving care. Trust me, the baby will be there and Mom will let you pretend to help. The LR needs you now and Mom will not help! So go look; do not miss the small moments, like which way a clip faces, cause once gone, they are lost forever.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Good god man, where are your priorities! A baby grows towards independance at age 18 (well legally) while a Land Rover grows away from independance at approximately the same rate so by 18 yrs old it needs a lot more loving care. Trust me, the baby will be there and Mom will let you pretend to help. The LR needs you now and Mom will not help! So go look; do not miss the small moments, like which way a clip faces, cause once gone, they are lost forever.
Cats in the cradle...
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I just got a BIII and the rubber peice doesn't sit flush with the rear tailgate. It clips in just fine but there is still a gap.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

I just installed my soft top for the first time in a couple years, and for the life of me can't get the bar in the rear window to snap into the clips securly. It will kind on "angle" onto the clips and hold for a moment, but as soon as I hit a small bump in the road it pops out. It just doesn't want to stay clipped in. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
On mine the left side fits in easily but the right side has to be hit hard to get it to snap into place. When it finally engages you can hear a pop. It sounds as if your plastic retainer piece is worn out or you are not getting it seated totaly in place.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
My Badger 2 has a large gap as well.

97 D90 SW
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I know the original Tickford tops shrunk over time and left a large gap (1"-2") between the tailgate and the rear window. I never bothered correcting mine though because it doesn't get that cold here and my dog liked to stick his nose out the back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clips