Quick Nuts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quick Nuts

Have any of you bought the AB quick nuts to make removing your door windows easier? Is it worth the $75?

Is there a McMaster-Carr equivalent for much, much less?

Looks interesting, thought I'd see what the consensus is while I wait for a new starter....

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Am I the only one that thought this tread might be about premature ejaculation??

Couldn't resist.

I bought the AB quick nuts. They are great, no complaints. They are a bit more than you would expect but I don't know of a less expensive option.

Get the SS door studs too.
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have the RN ones that rust. I really don't see the point to these things but to each his own.
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

I researched to try and find a less expensive option, and after a bunch of time hunting, was able to find some simple steel collars with a nut crimped into each end... they worked fairly well, but rusted horribly in a few weeks... rusted to such an extent that they were a major pain in the arse to remove... I bought the AB stainless and have found them to be simple, effective and problem-free...
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Yeah - kind of the responses I was expecting. I have the stainless studs, and in reality, removal with a deep socket isn't that time consuming. Just looking for a better mousetrap that didn't cost $75.
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Have you taken your door tops off yet? I wonder with the rust on your truck what type of nightmare you might have
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I'm sort of prone to exaggerate, so while the rust is a pain, it's pretty localized to exposed areas underneath. I've seen some pretty well maintained trucks that look worse on the bottom.

The studs on the door tops actually came off without much effort. There was some rust, which was to be expected, but all in all, a little PB blaster and my deep socket and they were off the doors in minutes. Some more PB blaster and the vice grips and they were out of the windows. I replaced them with stainless and went on my merry way.

I just got interested in making the removal of them a bit easier and those speed nuts looked interesting. Not $75 interesting, but interesting nonetheless.
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
d90dang
Matthew
1997 D-90

i have a set of 3 (yes i know im missing one) that are just sitting in my tool box
pm me an offer and there yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	29931  
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I ran my IIA for years without the nuts -- on or off in seconds.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions