Questions re: 200 Tdi on eBay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
1994 NAS D90 soft top
Questions re: 200 Tdi on eBay

Looking to purchase my second Defender (bad case of the LR bug), I saw this 200 Tdi on eBay....looking for something like this to carry around the family/gear during summers at the beach. I'd greatly appreciate any red flags that come up based on the description/pics or anything I should ask the seller that may not be obvious.

Thanks. Always appreciate the forum's knowledge!

Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
Doors are starting to rust, it was inevitable anyway.

It would have been nice if he took the board out of the bed to see the condition of the metal underneath.

While he mentions knowing the typical rust spots he didn't include hardly any in his photos.

200Tdi parts are a little harder to find than 300Tdi, so that may be an issue down the road, but otherwise it might not be a bad buy.

"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
inspections from the rigorous MOT in the UK

hahaha!! what planet is he on? You can get any POS to pass the test if you know the tester in the garage.

Looks like an ex disco Tdi engine as well (judging by the green oil level stick), not that it makes much difference, although am I right in thinking that if you fit one into a LHD (or convery this truck to LHD) the turbo is in the way of the steering shaft?
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
It looks like bidding ended with a winning bid of $22,700. This was on eBay not too long ago for $16,995 (not sure what it ever sold for) and before that was imported by a California member from here named James Dunsdon - AUSTINSJEEP - back in Jan, 2013 before being sold to NC to Dale. But for future reference, you'd want to ask (aside from rust of course) for the documentation showing when the engine conversion was completed, who completed the conversion, how many miles on it when dropped in, etc.; any/all service records on that engine showing if/when the recommended intervals of service were completed, etc.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ebay, tdi