Questions on the Interior - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Questions on the Interior

I am wondering what you guys with the ST's have done with the inside of the 90's.

1.) What have you done with the fabric around the bottom of hte seats, the box for the battery and computer. Mine just looks horrid

2.) What can I do in the back of the Rover. My rubber matting is just plain flimsy looking. It covers the whole back but is unglued in places and who ever installed the rear seat cut the rubber badly.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I bought a few yards of gray boat carpeting from Lowes. I used double sided tape and covered the seat boxes, both front mats and the entire back. It look good and more importantly the ride is much quieter than before. Total cost was less than $50. If you have any questions or want pictures, let me know.....
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I pulled everything out of the back, pulled the front seats out and covered it all with Hurculiner (Pickup truck bed liner that you can do yourself). If you want more details or pics just say the word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I ordered the OEM carpet from Rovers North. It's a special order but it was only 65 shipped when I got it. PITA to install.

EwS
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Would the carpet be hard to clean? Seems like the clay around here is hard to get out of anything.

I thought about the whole herculiner or line-x treatment. How much did it cost you to do it yourself?

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
jbird
Justin Bird
94 D-90 ST

I purchased a replacement OEM mat for the rear and am going to install soundproofing (dynamat extreme) under the mat. The replacement OEM mat was about $160 (which seemed a little expensive).
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Zimbo76
Keith Page
1994 Defender

I know it is expensive, but I went with the Rhino lining.
It certainly reduces the road noise.
It cost me $400 for the rear of the vehicle. I am going to do the bar in the back, and the thinking about doing the footwells and under the seats next.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i also had rhino liner installed everywhere but where the material is under the seats. i liked the texture so i mended it and went over it with some rustoleum to try and improve the look. it worked pretty well.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

$100, some sanding cleaning and some quality time with my Defender. It took a weekend. Friday night after work I removed the seats and all the other stuff bolted in. Saturday I did all the prep work cleaning and sanding and cleaning again, a couple hours Saturday night to apply, then I reinstalled everything the Sunday afternoon. Mud from 7 different states washes right off with the pressure washer. The kit came with just about everything I needed, I also used a plastic paint removal brush in my drill to scuff the paint.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I've done nothing to the interior. Installed a bimini top to provide some rain protection and took out the windows for summer, thats about it. Still have the thick land rover full rubber mat in rear. Never had a rear seat. Nothing seems to warrant any worry of water damage. Seats are vinyl and interior aluminum. Could be wrong.......
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Does Rino liner come in colors? I know nothing about it but my stock tub rubber mat has split along the creases. My issue with color - sunlight and heat on black or dark colors. Rino have a web site?I also have some rust on the inside roll bar mounts (in the tub) and would like to spruce it up a bit.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well when I was looking into all of this I read someplace that they don't recommend anything but black for direct sunlight as every other color was not 100% UV rated.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Paul,

Yes, Rhino Lining does come in colors, they can even 'color match' colors as well (as long as your local dealer can do it).

And yes, they have a website:
http://www.rhinolinings.com/

I was thinking of getting it in my old soft top Jeep but sold it to buy the D90 SW, so I really don't need Rhino. I did put Herculiner in the front footwells though, that was the only place I had a problem. If you do end up going that route be sure to replace those floor pan bolts with Stainless.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:45 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

One more thing...

Paul,

I almost forgot something important... a short story...

A few years back we had ONE Rhino dealer in town and this guy I worked with got the whole interioir of his Jeep Wrangler done in the stuff and it really looked great. (as great as a Jeep can get
That's what got me into researching Rhino Lining. I ended up selling the Jeep so I didn't need to do it any longer...

Well, a few months ago another co-worked of mine was looking into getting it done and asked me a couple of questions and he seemed to find a place in town that said they were the only dealer in town... they were but not the same one...
So, to shorten this story... He got his Jeep done and it looked miserable, there were literal 'DRIPPINGS' of the Rhino Lining in the bed above the rear wheel wells, and altogether looked like a 5 year old did it.

So, the moral of the story is, that Rhino lining, mostly used in truck beds may be a fairly easy task to master... but the 'INTERIOR' of a D90 or Jeep for that matter could lead to be a whole different story. MAKE SURE to see their work before you get it done... and especially ask if they've done 'anything else' besides pickup beds.

Needless to say I told my co-worker that his Jeep looked great and he was very pleased. I didn't have the heart to tell him... (once that stuff is on... it's ON)

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:22 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Where do you think I can get my hands on some herculiner so I can do the seat box?

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Not to rain on the Rhino parade but Line-X is way better in pretty much every way. IMHO of course.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Brian,

I believe PEP BOYS is a carrier for Herculiner, but you could just go to Herculiner's website and they should be able to find the nearest dealer... you may have to call.

Hope this helps

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior