Questions on New Tires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 19th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558
Questions on New Tires

Researching a new set of tires for my truck, have debated between BF Goodrich TA-KO2s and Michelins ATs. Have had BF Goodrich TA-KOs and have been pretty pleased with those except one tire that has a small leak through the sidewall and keeps needing air. The only thing I think I might like about the Michelins is the smoother ride but they aren't as great with the ratings in snow as the Goodriches. Plus, I'm not sure that Michelins on a D90 would look quite right.
That being said the KO2s look like a fair compromise and look like a great improvement over the previous model tire. Now, my question is should I stick with the 265/75/16 size or perhaps go with 285/75/16?? I'm running the original freestyle wheels, I've researched on the forum and have found that if I go with the bigger tire I might need to adjust the track rods to prevent rubbing and also that no adjustments would be necessary.
I think I would like the extra height/presence of the 285s and am not interested in future lifting, extra mods, etc. to make it work. Would like to know if 285's would be basically plug-and-play or if there is more to be done in which case I think I might just opt for 265s. Thanks.

Old May 19th, 2015, 06:42 AM
1985 110 3-door
Why not 255's? You get the height/presence of 285's, but without the rubbing. Most tires that come in 255 have more aggressive tread than the BFG's, but Cooper makes an AT tire in 255 thats likely comparable to the BFG TA-KO.

1985 Land Rover 110 3-door ST
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:35 AM
1997 90 Wolf
You don't adjust the track rod to prevent rubbing while turning, that keeps the tires parallel. You adjust the steering stops on the front of the knuckle.
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Di Ventus
1986 UK Defender 90
I went with KO2 @ 265 to my '86 Defender 90 and was looking to get Rims with back spacing. Who has tried this? What is the best amount of back space?

Adjusting the steering stops increases the turning radius, which I would like to keep tight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

tire, tires