Questions (oil cooler lines & stainless bolts) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Questions (oil cooler lines & stainless bolts)

I have 2 questions:

1) Are the oil cooler lines an issue on 97 NAS D90s like on the 94 & 95s? My good friend's pristine 1995 Beluga Black with 36,000 original miles burnt to the ground just last week after the OEM oil cooler lines failed!

2) Anyone know of better deals for stainless bolts for the hood bonnet and driver/passenger door hinges? Expedition Exchange Mud UK set is $65!

Thanks in advance...
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

McMaster Carr sells all the bolts in stainless. JimC posted a parts list.

97 oil cooler lines are different than 93/94/95 but should be replaced nonetheless. Check ECR's website for more info.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Highly recommend. http://a2stainless.co.uk/Land-Rover_B2142O.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 07:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
RE: oil cooler lines...are they an issue on late 1990's (like '99) 90/110s as well? Just curious...I've got a "friend" that wanted to know .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
1sttimer
clint glover
'97 D90 ST

Heston: If you want the EE Mud UK set, I've got a set that I bought last month ($65 + shipping) that I will sell you for $55 including shipping. They look good, I have them on my '97 D90 ST. I ended up buying 2 sets; wife thought she threw 1 st set out, ordered 2nd set, then 1st set "re-appreared".

Email me at cgloveratresourcere dottt commm if you want them, and we can workout details.

Clint
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

BTW guys,

when putting in stainless fasteners, particularly cosmetic ones, it's a good idea to 'passivate' the stainless. This is essentially desolving any iron on the surface of the fasteners that can start a corrosion spot (the oranging seen in many 18-8 'stainless' fasteners). Use chrome plated tools cleaned in the same way when installing.

it pretty easy - home method is to soak in warm citric acid (Mcmaster 3190K624). I use a cheap ultra-sonic cleaner as it heats and cleans all at once. We do this for all the fasteners we put sub-sea as well. Helps things last.

I know, sounds rediculously anal - but it does help.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
RE: oil cooler lines...are they an issue on late 1990's (like '99) 90/110s as well? Just curious...I've got a "friend" that wanted to know .
Its the V8s that have the issue.
In those year trucks you likely have a diesel, so no worries and no need to change.
Change the lines when they get old, but factory stuff will do nicely on the diesels.

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2010 08:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlamar View Post
I have 2 questions:

1) Are the oil cooler lines an issue on 97 NAS D90s like on the 94 & 95s? My good friend's pristine 1995 Beluga Black with 36,000 original miles burnt to the ground just last week after the OEM oil cooler lines failed!
They are an issue, but certainly not as bad as the 1993-1995 NAS Defenders. The 97s have a different line routing and they are a few years newer, so they are not as bad (or at least we don't see as many crispy 97s here at the shop for repairs). Best to replace them when the original lines get old looking.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Righto, that does make sense and clarify on the oil cooler lines for the diesel rigs.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

I do like that the Stigg's site has the Pozidriv like the OEM equipment, and the price looks cheaper. Don't you get killed on the shipping from the UK though?
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I put an inquiry into Stig to find out how much a "complete" kit would run for my 110, I'll let you know when I hear back. I've ordered other things from the UK before and actually shipping isn't that bad and is fairly quick. And actually the conversion rate is finally half decent...about $1 = £1.4 (better than it was a year or so ago at 1=2).

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2010 11:39 PM ------

my bad....I accidentally typed the symbols backwards...it's £1= $1.4
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you ever get a response from them?

Quote:
I put an inquiry into Stig to find out how much a "complete" kit would run for my 110, I'll let you know when I hear back. I've ordered other things from the UK before and actually shipping isn't that bad and is fairly quick. And actually the conversion rate is finally half decent...about $1 = £1.4 (better than it was a year or so ago at 1=2).

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2010 11:39 PM ------

my bad....I accidentally typed the symbols backwards...it's £1= $1.4
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jeff - actually I did and the response is below...essentially they were saying they don't have a "total" kit. Also, FYI I got your email with the fastener breakout...had a crazy week at work, will review tonight or tomorrow and give you a call to discuss. I just need to match it up against my truck and make sure it will all match (the one thing is that I think my fasteners are torx, not sure if that makes a difference - your lists looked like hex or phillips).

Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:32 AM
To: jasonlavender
Subject: LR110 CSW

Hi Jason,
because of the huge variety of Land Rovers we don't do a 'dream kit' which covers everything, but instead have broken the job down into a number of sub-kits
BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }This link is the best place to start http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Defender_B22EP.aspx. All our kits come with s/s nyloc nuts and washers where stated
anything not listed as a specific kit may be available from general stock.

Kind Regards

Mark Pinkney STIG FASTENERS www.a2stainless.co.uk
01325 364767

On Thu 13/05/10 05:27 , "Your easywebstore Website http://www.a2stainless.co.uk"automatedalert@a2stainless.c o.uk sent:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE; PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.

The following question was submitted to you by a customer on your website.
Customer email address:
Question: I've got a Land Rover 110 Station Wagon...do you make a "dream kit" for replacing everything with stainless? Or can you recommend the associated kits from Stig that I will need to complete this job? Door hardware, hood hinges, rear body to chassis, rear door & spare tire, heater intake & cover plates, etc. Also, does your stainless come with the associated flat or nylon washers and lock nuts?
The visitor was current on page (URL): http://a2stainless.co.uk/default.aspx
IP Address: 68.98.154.41
Thank you.

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Another thread mentioned that SS wasn't as strong as regular bolts and therefore wasn't recommended for anything structural.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Here is a couple of lists JimC put together as part list to order from McMaster Carr ... might be useful.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I used Jim's list when I was putting together an order at McMaster. What Jason was talking about is that in doing so I realized that McMaster now has minimum quantities of 25, 50 or even 100 on many of the parts so it makes sense to try to order the bolts for two (or even three) trucks at once and share the cost.

------ Follow up post added June 3rd, 2010 10:13 PM ------

Sounds good man. I'm in no big rush but know that we need to do this before you head out of town if we are going with the bulk order. What bolts are torx on your rig? I need to add the torx fasteners for my cage.

Quote:
Jeff - actually I did and the response is below...essentially they were saying they don't have a "total" kit. Also, FYI I got your email with the fastener breakout...had a crazy week at work, will review tonight or tomorrow and give you a call to discuss. I just need to match it up against my truck and make sure it will all match (the one thing is that I think my fasteners are torx, not sure if that makes a difference - your lists looked like hex or phillips).

Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:32 AM
To: jasonlavender
Subject: LR110 CSW

Hi Jason,
because of the huge variety of Land Rovers we don't do a 'dream kit' which covers everything, but instead have broken the job down into a number of sub-kits
BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }This link is the best place to start http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Defender_B22EP.aspx. All our kits come with s/s nyloc nuts and washers where stated
anything not listed as a specific kit may be available from general stock.

Kind Regards

Mark Pinkney STIG FASTENERS www.a2stainless.co.uk
01325 364767

On Thu 13/05/10 05:27 , "Your easywebstore Website http://www.a2stainless.co.uk"automatedalert@a2stainless.c o.uk sent:

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE; PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.

The following question was submitted to you by a customer on your website.
Customer email address:
Question: I've got a Land Rover 110 Station Wagon...do you make a "dream kit" for replacing everything with stainless? Or can you recommend the associated kits from Stig that I will need to complete this job? Door hardware, hood hinges, rear body to chassis, rear door & spare tire, heater intake & cover plates, etc. Also, does your stainless come with the associated flat or nylon washers and lock nuts?
The visitor was current on page (URL): http://a2stainless.co.uk/default.aspx
IP Address: 68.98.154.41
Thank you.

Old July 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

stainless strengths

Here is a great link to the Specialty Steel Industries of North America that lists all the corrosion, strength, etc. information on all different types and grades of stainless. There is a significant difference in strength from some grades vs. others. http://www.ssina.com/publications/design.html. By the way ksi to psi conversion is 1,000 times (e.g., 55 ksi = 55,000 psi).

From my reading, stainless is not made in tensile & load strengths as strong as the heaviest duty regular steel fastener, say the SAE grades 7 or 8 which can well exceed 100,000 psi in both tensile & load strength. However, some of the stronger stainless can get fairly close. Personally, I have gone mostly all stainless except for the frame, bumpers, seat belt anchors and roll cage.

ASTM & SAE steel grades & technical info
http://www.americanfastener.com/tech...ings_steel.asp

There are several websites that list the grades & technical info on their stainless bolt (here are a couple):
http://www.americanfastener.com/tech...on-ferrous.asp

http://www.hcrosscompany.com/metals/stainless.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts