Questions about Mantec tire carrier install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Questions about Mantec tire carrier install

I know a lot of people on this board have one so I thought I might get some guidance here. I took everything apart off my SW and was ready to put the Mantec plate on the back of the door and noticed a few things:

1. The instructions say all the existing hardware (bolts) is reused. I lined the thing up and maybe half of the holes on the plate match up with the existing holes in the door. Is that on purpose or am I supposed to drill the remaining ones?

2. Has anybody put some epoxy sealant around backside of the plate before install? The old carrier had some sort of a gasket on it but nothing comes with the Mantec Plate. There are three gaping holes in the door and while i'm sure moisture probably won't get it, it certainly could with enough rain. Thoughts?

3. Do I need a special drill bit to get through the rear crossmember? I have some generic bits, nothing fancy, but that is some thick ass steel. Do I need a Carbide bid or anything like that? Also when drilling, did you need to remove the rear step?

Thanks..
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:37 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I am pretty sure you do not need to drill the rear crossmember from what I remember it uses holes that are already there.

Are you sure you purchased the proper carrier for your door? There are 2 different types of SW doors

The only holes I remember drilling were in the capping but it has been a few years
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I drilled my crossmember to add it. Didn't need a special bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:57 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Use a stepped bit:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/dr...it-step-drills

The lower bracket does require an extra hole in the cross member. Good idea on the gasket. You could use something as simple as a silicone caulk which would make it removable, or cut a piece of rubber to sandwich in. I wouldn't mount it metal on metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I used caulk on the rear door. Don't recall drilling agile but I have replaced my x-member so maybe later ones have the required holes.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:36 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

There are two types for the SW? Mine is a 1995 NAS SW and I have no holes whatsoever. I pulled off the reflector and I have two tiny holes but none of the supplied bolts would fit through them. I would have to drill every single hole for the lower mount. Is that right?
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm pretty sure there are 2 models. One for earlier vehicles and one for later vehicles.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
There are two types for the SW? Mine is a 1995 NAS SW and I have no holes whatsoever. I pulled off the reflector and I have two tiny holes but none of the supplied bolts would fit through them. I would have to drill every single hole for the lower mount. Is that right?
Yes you have to drill. Mantec makes two models.

Defenders pre 2002
Defenders post 2002.
I am referring to the style door. In addition Mantec has redesigned the lower mount. It used to angle up and cover a bit of the body. It no longer does that on any model.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:53 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ok thanks. I will drill and caulk the plate next weekend.

Yeah the lower plate doesn't cover any of the body, so I guess it's the updated version. Were you guys able to drill the lower bracket with the NAS step in place?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, mantec, tire, tire carrier