Questions about boost diaphragm. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:56 PM
P. Barber
1989/Defender 90
Questions about boost diaphragm.

I suspected my injector pump boost diaphragm was bad due to poor top end power and what seamed like a pressurized fuel tank.
I removed the diaphragm and it was indeed failed. it had a very large hole in it.
During the removal it was obvious that someone had removed the diaphragm before. The lock wire was no longer there. This is a new to me truck. 1989 Defender 90, 2.5LTD
My questions:
-The adjustment pin in the diaphragm was level (no protrusion) with the diaphragm. Is there a standard pin protrusion measurement?
- The longer pin in the pump that the diaphragm pushes on with increased boot. It was completely recessed and not visible. At first I thought that it was missing. It was way into the pump. Is that normal?
- Lastly the longer pin is housed in a hollow screw (carb jet looking thing). That hollow screw was finger tight. I was able to rotate it by hand. Assuming it should be tight I screwed it in until snug. Should it be tight or is there an adjustment as to where it should be set.

I have searched the web and not found any information.
Is there a US source for the boost diaphragm?
Thanks for any help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions