questions about a new old t-case - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
questions about a new old t-case

My truck blew up it's t-case a while back and it was beyond a rebuild. So I figured that since I was gonna get a new one anyway I might as well do some custom gearing. I left it up to the shop to find a new t-case and the gears came from GBR. After inquiring about the t-case they got i was told it was an lt-230 out of a disco as it had the selonoid switch or whatever on top for the auto transmission. I have a couple questions about this.
1. Are there any real differences in strength or high range gearing btw an lt 230 for an disco an a 90?

2. I remember some models of that t-case had a problem with oil stavation. I know the case I took off my 95 d-90 was the later model as it had a hole for oil to get at that bearing (forget which one it is that gets starved). Is this going to be a concern with the new case? I just spent a boatload getting these gears and case and I wanted to know about the subtle differences btw. the cases.

I would have normally posted on this site before getting a case but I specified a case from a 95 d-90. I didn't think that anything else would be put in but alas here I am with a disco case. I know they are "basically" the same but some of those minor differences seem to make a difference here and there. THanks
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions