questions! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
soturi
Matthew
1984 300tdi

hahaha:

squared away as a football bat. there is indeed a drainage port in the bottom ("top") of it.

i'll flip it around asap. just got done painting away that horrible green color today (fotos to follow). will be checking on the IP diaphragm shortly as well (updates to follow).

thanks for the good look, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

That is the wrong way to hook up an air filter... the air is being drawn in through the center and exiting through the sides of the filter element. The filters will not last long and might suffer a structural failure which could damage the engine run this way.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:42 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
That is the wrong way to hook up an air filter... the air is being drawn in through the center and exiting through the sides of the filter element. The filters will not last long and might suffer a structural failure which could damage the engine run this way.
Yep, definitely drawing air the wrong way through, lay the filter on it's side and connect the trunking to the turbo to the outlet on the end of the filter housing and the dirty air will be drawn in through the side.
Oh, get a new filter before reversing the air flow because all the crap will be currently on what will be the clean side of the filter and will get sucked straight into the engine if you just reverse the flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
soturi
Matthew
1984 300tdi

alright - replacement air filters have proven impossible to source locally. and i didn't want to have to order one online. so, a little 100mph tape to make a 3" to 4" adapter:

for the new filter:

and voila:

no need to worry about an incorrectly plumbed filter housing, and easy to source filters.

also, i found out where all that crap was coming from in my intake lines. wasn't the turbo (though the shape of the compressor SCREAMS "replace me!"):

it was the valve cover re-breather:

what's with this thing? the breather on my cummins just dumps onto the front axle. this one spews crap into my intake?? rather, it used to... this one now also just drips onto a front axle =)

but, it does drip a whole lot. what's the solution for this thing? really not interested in hooking it back up to my intake. also, where does that other line go to? the one coming from the bottom of the breather housing?
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:09 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by soturi View Post

also, i found out where all that crap was coming from in my intake lines. wasn't the turbo (though the shape of the compressor SCREAMS "replace me!"):

it was the valve cover re-breather:

what's with this thing? the breather on my cummins just dumps onto the front axle. this one spews crap into my intake?? rather, it used to... this one now also just drips onto a front axle =)

but, it does drip a whole lot. what's the solution for this thing? really not interested in hooking it back up to my intake. also, where does that other line go to? the one coming from the bottom of the breather housing?
There shouldn't be much oil or garbage coming from that line. Mine is hooked up to the intake and my turbo intake doesn't look as bad as yours, and that's after running a poorly fitted filter line and losing a piece of plastic in there . The breather cyclone is supposed to separate the oil and the air. The oil is supposed to return to the crankcase via that lower line. Vacuum is supposed to draw the air out into the air intake.

Try taking the breather cyclone off and clean it. I soaked mine in degreaser, followed by lots of water. You may need an new o-ring too. Also, make sure your lines aren't cracked - that was a significant puddle source for me.
Old August 31st, 2011, 04:23 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Yes clean the oil separator, turbo blades shouldn't look like that. you probably have the old 90 petrol/diesel filter housing, it's smaller than the tdi filters. Plumb the hose back into the intake system, if you off-road you'll suck a load of crap into the innards of the engine and be in a whole world of hurt.
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
soturi
Matthew
1984 300tdi

hm - what about a breather filter instead of routing it to the intake? there's enough positive pressure coming from that hose that it seems like a filter wouldn't necessarily act as a plug. bad idea?
Old August 31st, 2011, 03:15 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Just plumb it in nearer the turbo, that way the oil won't get on the air filter.
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM
soturi
Matthew
1984 300tdi

i'm actually more worried about the oil getting into the turbo and IC than the filter... the whole design just seems silly to me.

i'll definitely clean it out, i'm sure that's been done, eh, never. =/

but are there any real technical issues with letting it just... hang out? if i take the vapor hose off altogether, i can then diagnose future cyclone breather issues by seeing it spit up all over itself. eh? eh? or maybe keep the hose on and routed high for water safety...
Old August 31st, 2011, 06:22 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Just let it go through the intercooler and back into the engine. Clean the oil separator. The inside of my intercooler has a coating of oil, doesn't do any harm. Old Land Rover turbo diesels - the engine before 200 tdi's were reputed to run on their own blow by gasses just before the engines went pop
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
curios

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions