Question regarding oil drive gear on the Mallory Unilite distributor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Question regarding oil drive gear on the Mallory Unilite distributor

Oh my Mallory unilite, it didn't come with any drive gear, just a bare shaft with no holes drilled through it or no slot to cut off. On the RPI site it shows the distributor with a drive gear on with a roll pin punched through it. If I just put on the rover drive gear and shim it correctly is it ok to just slip it on without any reference to the rotor alignment? I'm worried about drilling a hole in the wrong place and create alignment issues that I can't reverse. Just want to make sure I don't screw up.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

In all honesty, the best bet is probably to take both the old and new distributors down to a competent machine shop and see how much they will charge to swap it over for you. I think I paid $10 with a local guy here. The freeplay is kinda critical, so this is one of the times it's best to pass it to a pro.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
If I just put on the rover drive gear and shim it correctly is it ok to just slip it on without any reference to the rotor alignment? I'm worried about drilling a hole in the wrong place and create alignment issues that I can't reverse. Just want to make sure I don't screw up.
As long as you're close, you'll be fine. I swapped my drive gear over and just referenced the tip of the rotor with comparison to the top edge of a gear tooth.

You'll turn the distributor to set the final timing - the only thing standing in your way is the vacuum advance module (which, of course, will hit the cooling system pipe going to the thermostat and limit your adjustment potential - hence why you need to get close). It's not as big of a deal with the Mallory since the vacuum advance module is a lot smaller than the Lucas (at least, it is on mine) and allows for more adjustment before hitting that pipe.

Good luck!

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks for chiming in, I was worried about getting it wrong because on the mallory instruction sheet it says nothing about rotor to gear tooth alignment. I guess your right and it dosen't really matter too much as long as your close to pointing in the original direction (TDC) because you can adjust the timing afterward.

Robert Deniro
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Guess it turned out ok, the original distributor had the slot exactly perpendicular to the direction the rotor, I tried to mimic it as much as I could, I don't think its perfect but close. Anyway it works fine, Travis you were right, there is ample space to twist the distributor but I was close to touching the upper radiator hose/clamp but when the advance touches it thats way too retarded for the timing setting anyway so it dosen't really matter, if anyone does this in the future just get the slot as close as you can get to the original dizzy and you should be fine. Cheers

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
distributor