Question regarding Manual Transmission on 95 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Question regarding Manual Transmission on 95 D90

My question is I currently drive a manual car and have been for the last 8 years. I love manual and drive it as my day to day car. My question is I heard the D90 Manual is pain in the ass to drive every day. Now is this coming from people who just don't drive manual cars everyday or is it really not as fun to drive. I am currently in the market for a D90 and can't decide between the manual 95 D90 or the automatic 97 D90 and any advice or input would be greatly apprecaited. Maybe from someone who drives the manual truck every day. Thanks!

Ross - On a quest to purchace a D90

Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
1995 SW #487/500
my vote is for the 1995 with the manual R-380

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
It all depends on what kind of manual transmission you are used to. It's a truck tranny, so it shifts like one with long swings and a bit of a clunky feel. The clutch isn't bad at all for a truck, a long throw but not overly stiff. Personally, I have no issues with it at all, as I'd driven 4wd's with manual transmissions for years.

If you are used to more of a sports car shifter where you just flip your wrist around and the gears are only 2" apart.... then it will take some getting used to.

Then again, if you've ever driven a Deuce and a Half..... the defender is an absolute dream compared to those things.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Ditto what Hans said.

It's downright dangerous in traffic if you need to talk on a cell phone, drink coffee, and eat breakfast all at the same time. If you can do without those sort of things it's not bad. Just gets to be a little bit of a drag in stop and go bumper to bumper.

I much prefer manual for offroad but that's good for a whole other argument.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Peter Sherman
NAS 110
I think the only diff will be in the speed in which you are used to shifting. if you are in stop & go traffic & using for a commuter I would get the auto. OR buy a shit box & the question becomes clear!
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM
1995 Defender 90 NAS
I vote for a 1995 Defender.......MANUAL. Mine is no longer a daily driver - BUT was for 7 years. I had no problems.

If you love driving standard shift - YOU have made the decision already!

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90
Driven both and much prefer the manual
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Jeff Sturgis
I have never driven a D-90 with an automatic, but my RRC LWB has a ZF automatic that I have had very good luck with.

The Defender with the R380 manual is my preference. Only place it is somewhat of a pain is when I am stuck in SoCal stop and go traffic jams. Given my current fuel economy, I will run out of gas way before my left leg tires from exercising the clutch.
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
It is not that clunky, it is just not a race car. If you can handle stick reasonably it won't be a problem. I have driven others street cars that have short shifters but really firm clutches and I find those mroe difficult in traffic. The d90 clutch is not all that stiff, and the throw is not that long for a truck. IMO
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM
1967 Series IIA
Perhaps driving a diesel is a bit different but, when in traffic, I often put the truck in first gear and let the truck just idle forward.

Having a short-shift car and a LT77 Land Rover, I can see what people are saying about the quick shifts but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think the more important question to ask is whether it's easier to learn how to off-road w/ an automatic or a stick. Kind of like first learning to drive (the very first couple of hours) is easier with an automatic because there's no clutch to think about.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, 95, d90, manual, transmission