Question regarding engine numbers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2017, 11:18 AM
johnnydakota
Mike
1991 Defender 200 tdi

Question regarding engine numbers

Hi all,

I am looking to import a defender, and just have a couple of questions regarding numbers. I always hear about matching engine numbers, but how do you tell if it is a matching number, as it doesn't have that 'spelled out' on the title? Is there a way to cross reference the engine number online etc? Or is it just that the engine number determine what type of engine it is 200 tdi etc? Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2017, 11:25 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to import a defender, and just have a couple of questions regarding numbers. I always hear about matching engine numbers, but how do you tell if it is a matching number, as it doesn't have that 'spelled out' on the title? Is there a way to cross reference the engine number online etc? Or is it just that the engine number determine what type of engine it is 200 tdi etc? Thanks all!
Someone correct me if i am wrong but the key is the first 3 leading characters which tells the approximate year of the engine, and of course the model. For instance 200TDI's start with 11L, 12L, or 13L. 11L is 1990/1991. If customs sees a 12L in a 1990 truck, that is a red flag.

Put the VIN in here and it should tell you the prefix that you need the truck to have. The NHSTA/DOT use this same calculator for reference.

http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
Someone correct me if i am wrong but the key is the first 3 leading characters which tells the approximate year of the engine, and of course the model. For instance 200TDI's start with 11L, 12L, or 13L. 11L is 1990/1991. If customs sees a 12L in a 1990 truck, that is a red flag.

Put the VIN in here and it should tell you the prefix that you need the truck to have. The NHSTA/DOT use this same calculator for reference.

Clifton Scientific Text Services, the Netherlands
Am no expert that's for sure, but I thought that 11L was the Defender version of the 200TDI and the 12L was the Disco version, while 13L was the Range Rover 200TDI version.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2017, 12:02 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Am no expert that's for sure, but I thought that 11L was the Defender version of the 200TDI and the 12L & 13K were Disco 200TDI versions.
Yea you might be right with that.

Regardless customs wants to make sure the prefix matches up with what LR says it should have.
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
Regardless customs wants to make sure the prefix matches up with what LR says it should have.
You are 100% right, Adam.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 26th, 2017, 04:25 PM
johnnydakota
Mike
1991 Defender 200 tdi

Thanks guys for the reply that clears things up & thanks Adam for that website, very helpful indeed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine