Question regarding differences between 2ohm and 4ohm speakers connections - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Suggest you consider a smaller, higher efficiency speaker... and a second power amp. The enclosure you use for that sub can make a significant difference in how well it performs for you. If you find a good sensitive sub you won't need as much power for it. PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks! Will buy a box for those 2 8's tomorrow in downtown LA in the speaker district. I think they will sound good even if just connected to the 5channel polk, they're like 300 watts rms each, they are probably 4ohm subs so wired together they'll need 600 rms @ 2ohms, which should be just right for this amp. i think

Robert Deniro
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The real issue is making sure that any bridged connections can handle the OHM rating of the speaker attached, I know on mine if I bridge for the sub then I'm limited to a 4/8ohm speaker, if I wanted to use 2ohm subs I'd need to wire two in series.

Other than that, try it and see if you get clipping or not. It's audio, it's almost all lies in the brochures, the only measuring tool you can depend on is your ears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

So I wound up with a 2ohm 15" kicker solobaric in a ported box, I exchanged the 4ohm one they sold me originally and im running a 2 polk amps, the monoblock amp for the sub puts out 1200 watts rms at 1ohm. So far its hitting pretty hard, no clipping or distortion so far, using a 10 farad capacitor but I still see my lights dimming during the hard thumps. Used 0 guage power wire with heavy duty connectors for the install. Funny to see people look back and see they are being vibrated/annoyed by a D90. hehe Thanks for the help everyone.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speakers