Question on Axles - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
they wrench in rolex..........
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I see several misinformed/ignorant comments on this thread. Some of you should really invest in doing minimal research before commenting. By minimal I mean Pirate and Outer Limits. A little effort goes a long way.
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I see several misinformed/ignorant comments on this thread. Some of you should really invest in doing minimal research before commenting. By minimal I mean Pirate and Outer Limits. A little effort goes a long way.
..x2

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT.
What seems silly to me is paying $660 for a product no-one has any experience with.

Are any of these Rovertracks CV/axles out on trucks being tested prior to them being available for public sale ?

To dismiss a recommendation from a guy that has been running the AEU2522/MD axle combo, consistently on hard trails, with one CV failure (which admittedly was driver error), in favor of the 'latest greatest' bling on the market.

That's silly.
Longfield has been making CVs and axles for many years. His Toyota 30 spine CV and axle set is very well proven. This is using the same parts with 24 spline instead of 30 spline shafts. It will be stronger than the Rover R&P.

I am well aware of the MD axles and their strengths. I have personally wheeled with Mal Story the owner of Maxi-Drive.
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
BT.
Bruno Tome

Arthur, David, just to clarify:

I've been eagerly following the "Back out on the shop floor... They're Here!!", Rovertracks longtracks cv instal pics.. etc. threads, and the various comments regarding the hardness/road use issues that have been discussed.

I'm well aware of the fine reputation that Bobby Longfield has in the Toyota market, but this is a new product - don't discount the AEU2522/MD combo just yet.

The Longfield/Rovertracks axles, for those who don't require the tone ring, may well prove to be the perfect balance of strength, durability, and cost.

We'll see ..
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:25 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
That is a silly option with the $660 Longfield axle and CV combination being available. Really anyone putting anything else into a Rover front axle with a Rover center likes wasting money for no reason.
Why is it silly? In my opinion the waisted Maxidrive axle is a better stronger design. When you break your axle and have to by another you'll have more vested in your axles than me. But hey, your dollar your decision. I like Keith and I'm sure he'll appreciate your repeat business.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Neither the Longfield nor the MD axles will break. They are both much stronger than the Rover R&P.

The axles are not the concern. It is the AEU2522 that is the problem. They are certainly not nearly as strong as the axles.

If you do not believe me ask Mal Story.
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Neither the Longfield nor the MD axles will break. They are both much stronger than the Rover R&P.

The axles are not the concern. It is the AEU2522 that is the problem. They are certainly not nearly as strong as the axles.

If you do not believe me ask Mal Story.
I agree 100% that the AEU2522 is the weak point and that's the way I'd like to keep it. I always carry 2 spares when on a tough trail, you never know.

Old November 11th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
The AEU2522 is a WEAK CV ! I have broken two of these in less than six months before upgrading to Ashcrofts. But, I would do the LongTracks cvs if I were doing it today. Same material as Ashcrofts(actually both are made in Ohio!) and they are drop-in! I wouldn't give $.02 for another 2522. Both times my 2522s broke, it was the outer spline that broke and it destroyed the spindle BOTH TIMES so I hope you're carrying a spare inner, spare cv, spare stub axle, extra hub nuts, washers, maybe some bearings, etc......
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Today I installed the Rovertracks Longfield CVs & axles that I got from Keith. The install was painless, the fit was excellent. Didn't even have to change the shim pack behind the circlip on the drive flange...it was exact. We have a club run tomorrow and the testing will commence....
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar
The AEU2522 is a WEAK CV ! I have broken two of these in less than six months before upgrading to Ashcrofts. But, I would do the LongTracks cvs if I were doing it today. Same material as Ashcrofts(actually both are made in Ohio!) and they are drop-in! I wouldn't give $.02 for another 2522. Both times my 2522s broke, it was the outer spline that broke and it destroyed the spindle BOTH TIMES so I hope you're carrying a spare inner, spare cv, spare stub axle, extra hub nuts, washers, maybe some bearings, etc......

Add me to the list of broken 2522's, broke at the shaft inside the stub axles like you describe and toasted my stub axle. Yeah I should have been driving more carefully but I'm sure it's not the last mistake I will make.

I'm also on the list for Rovertracks new Longfields.
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM
BT.
Bruno Tome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar
In contrast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I have 33 inch tires and ARB's and a 4.6 been to Moab, colorado, mud pits, rock piles etc and haven't had a problem with the stock axles. Longest you arent abusive on your truck and use the winch after 10th attempt at something, you're normally fine. Actually the only thing i ever did break was GBR axles because i thought i was invincible and did something real dumb.. I also don't have a grand to spend. Then again, if and when i break an axle i will replace it with something "stronger," but until then don't change it if it ain't broke. Although these are just my experiences other guys on this forum have their d-90s almost purpose built and go through axles like water.
Some guys break their armageddon CV's, others get by on stock ones.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Today I installed the Rovertracks Longfield CVs & axles that I got from Keith. The install was painless, the fit was excellent. Didn't even have to change the shim pack behind the circlip on the drive flange...it was exact. We have a club run tomorrow and the testing will commence....
Awesome !
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Add me to the list of broken 2522's, broke at the shaft inside the stub axles like you describe and toasted my stub axle. Yeah I should have been driving more carefully but I'm sure it's not the last mistake I will make.

I'm also on the list for Rovertracks new Longfields.

Randy I was there when you broke a 2522, you had front locker on wheel cranked left and came down hard from a little 3 wheel action during a 10' rock climb on Chinaman's Gulch. That section didn't require a front locker and you took it a little too fast, although not as fast as Jimmy did. Jimmy, who wasn't locked in the front did the same thing but harder in an attempt not to roll his truck and only blew the bead his tire.

What I'm getting at is, yes the AEU2522 is the weak link, there has to be one. You just have to drive knowing what will cause failure. There is no such thing as a bomb proof CV and even if there was, then all that means is you'll be breaking half shafts or R&P or shredding the splines on the half shaft...

The CV is the cheapest easiest part to replace and therefore should be the weakest. I still run my LR 3.54 R&P because it is stronger than any other size I also only run a 33" tire because it is less stressful on the drivetrain than a 35" tire. I'm sorry if I'm not as big dog as others out there with their 35" tires and 4.11 or 4.75 gears, but in the past few years all I have ever broken is 1 CV and I admit it was my fault 100%. I seem to do fine with the set-up I have and am quite content.

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:35 AM
redrover

Proven design(longfields), Bling alloys, 600 bucks and a lifetime warranty! YOU CANNOT GO WRONG. I dont know if you will ever break one but you might consider how fast you would get a replacement. I have been pushing the full size longfields hard for some time. I am more than satisfied. Did I mention lifetime warranty! JP
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Randy I was there when you broke a 2522, you had front locker on wheel cranked left and came down hard from a little 3 wheel action during a 10' rock climb on Chinaman's Gulch. That section didn't require a front locker and you took it a little too fast, although not as fast as Jimmy did. Jimmy, who wasn't locked in the front did the same thing but harder in an attempt not to roll his truck and only blew the bead his tire.

What I'm getting at is, yes the AEU2522 is the weak link, there has to be one. You just have to drive knowing what will cause failure. There is no such thing as a bomb proof CV and even if there was, then all that means is you'll be breaking half shafts or R&P or shredding the splines on the half shaft...

The CV is the cheapest easiest part to replace and therefore should be the weakest. I still run my LR 3.54 R&P because it is stronger than any other size I also only run a 33" tire because it is less stressful on the drivetrain than a 35" tire. I'm sorry if I'm not as big dog as others out there with their 35" tires and 4.11 or 4.75 gears, but in the past few years all I have ever broken is 1 CV and I admit it was my fault 100%. I seem to do fine with the set-up I have and am quite content.
It is NOT driver error to have your wheel turned with your locker engadged. It is often unavoidable and simply part of wheeling. What you had is equipment failure. It's great that your content, but I don't know too many people who only wheel in a straight line.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

...x2
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

So the message I'm getting is there is no clear answer. Both GBR and Rovertracks are improvements. I'm still worried about the R&P but suspect I don't wheel hard enough to justify a full Toyota conversion. Many thanks for the insights. I've already sent GBR a big check, so maybe it's Keith that I'll support next.

BT
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
It is NOT driver error to have your wheel turned with your locker engadged. It is often unavoidable and simply part of wheeling. What you had is equipment failure. It's great that your content, but I don't know too many people who only wheel in a straight line.
I bet with your FrankenRover you can wheel in a straight line.

My point is, I would never intentionally have the wheel cranked and engage my front locker. That is just asking for "equipment failure".

Old November 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki

I didn't realize Jimmy didn't have his front locked. I wondered how he did the same thing I did only with more throttle, and didn't break. I turned around just in time to see him blow the bead and thought " how the...."

I agree if something is going to break it's great if it's something easy to fix. I just keep wondering if my CV broke again in the same place and did even more damage to the stub axle I could be in worse shape that if it was my diff that broke. When I got home I had to use a grinder and a homemade slide hammer to get it apart.

This really is a subject with opinions all over the place. I guess you just have to learn as you go and do what seems to work best for the way you wheel.
Old November 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
So the message I'm getting is there is no clear answer. Both GBR and Rovertracks are improvements. I'm still worried about the R&P but suspect I don't wheel hard enough to justify a full Toyota conversion. Many thanks for the insights. I've already sent GBR a big check, so maybe it's Keith that I'll support next.

BT
With 33's you should be good with your choice.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle