Question on 94 3.9L Oil Pump rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:35 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Question on 94 3.9L Oil Pump rebuild

With the weather staying warm for the next week or so I'm going to pull the oil pump outer housing and gears out for a replacement/rebuild. The rebuild kits I have found include or suggest replacing the outer housing(where oil filter connects) as part of the kit, which is also the most expensive part.

My question is do I need to replace the outer housing or just the internals? I've read that it's common for the pressure relief valve/spring to stick which can cause the pressure to drop so I can see replacing that part makes sense. What should I look for when I pull the unit that gives reason to replace the outer unit?

Thanks

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

As I remember from putting in the new engine that where the two cogs sit in the surface has to be flat where it bolted flush (dont forget pack the cogs with vasiline) Take a straight edge and check to see if its still flat if not then replace. Think thats correct from memory
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm thinking that it's the gears/cogs and bits inside that would be worn that would create lower pressure a idle right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
The lower face of the oil pump 'may' have some scoring in it from the gears. If it is really bad - you may lose some oil pressure.

You can take that housing to a machine shop and have them flatten it. Or, you can do it yourself with a peice of glass and fine sandpaper. Both options are tons cheaper than a new unit.

If the damage runs deep then you may have to bite the bullet and go new. They are very spendy - but I may just have one in the garage.....
Sterling, VA
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Pedro sanded the bottom portion with fine paper on a sanding machine. Engine was fine after that. I'd be surprised if the cog need replacing unless they ate something and can't contact right anymore between each other.
I'd say take it apart and find out what look out of place before buying anything!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:24 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
Pedro sanded the bottom portion with fine paper on a sanding machine. Engine was fine after that. I'd be surprised if the cog need replacing unless they ate something and can't contact right anymore between each other.
I'd say take it apart and find out what look out of place before buying anything!
Dude... You stole my thunder... I was going to post this morning and got caught in an unscheduled meeting.

Like Loic said... if you have scoring in the housing, get fine sand paper and sand it.

Here's how mine looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04246.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	42555  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Thanks for the pic.Thanks for the feedback. I'll do just that to get this gig rolling and post some pics of the innards. My very very pregnant wife will likely be looking at me strangely.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Thanks for the pic.Thanks for the feedback. I'll do just that to get this gig rolling and post some pics of the innards. My very very pregnant wife will likely be looking at me strangely.
Be careful when sanding it. Get the super fine paper and work slow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild