Question for those with rack mounted rear work lights - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM
keiphers
Keith
1997 D90 ST #647

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm not buying lights from someone who is not willing to disclose the light output (in raw and effective lumens) for their products. JW Speaker has all that info on their site. Truck-lite and Rigid Industries do not.
That's a valid point. I know from personal experience that the TL headlights have great output though; and, with a bevy of Hellas, I'm not that worried about having enough light (anything is better than the stock lights too). That said, my choice is based largely on cosmetics, as I prefer the look of the TLs. Here's an interesting write-up that compares the JW and TL lights:
http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I was wrong. Rigid does list lumens. Theoretical not actual but better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90
I have been happy with the Rigid Industries light I have as a rear aux light. They sell as single or in pairs.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm
------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2011 08:16 AM ------

Either will be vast improvements over stock. Looks is a valid point since the TLs appear more stock. I just get frustrated when they won't list actual light output. It's hard to make apples to apples comparisons between different lights (cost vs light output) to see which is the best value if they don't list it. Raw lumens is just a theoretical fantasy number that the factory provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiphers
That's a valid point. I know from personal experience that the TL headlights have great output though; and, with a bevy of Hellas, I'm not that worried about having enough light (anything is better than the stock lights too). That said, my choice is based largely on cosmetics, as I prefer the look of the TLs. Here's an interesting write-up that compares the JW and TL lights:
http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Looks nice.

What's everyone using for a rear light?
was using a $12 KC flood light, but the lens retaining ring fell off. I'm going to swap it a proper pivoting flood light with a mesh grill Steve Bartley gave me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I really like the idea of replacing my Matador with an LED for the rear worklight. After a lot of thought, I decided I'm never going to go LED headlight, since they run so cold that they won't be able to melt snow/ice off which is bad. If someone in the NE with LED headlights can report back after snowmageddon II to confirm or deny my assumptions, I'd appreciate it.
Don't do it. A lot of municipalities up here got sold on the LED's for traffic lights. Every snow storm We get blocks them up and they have to get cleaned.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Sounds like an Urban myth to me. Do you have personal experience with this? The high powered LEDs used in headlights/work lights need much higher draw and they use very high output LEDs (which is why they're so expensive). They will still get hot. Can someone with LED headlights settle this for us?

My old Hella headlights (non-led) would get a 1/2" layer of ice frozen onto them when I go up to the mountain because the heat of the lamp will melt the snow and create a thick ice layer on the headlight once they cooled off. I don't see how a led light could get any worse than that. If it was cooler it wouldn't melt so it wouldn't create an ice layer on top of the headlight.

The point that you're missing is that the cause of ice build up is the fact that the headlight gets hot and melts the snow in the first place! If it didn't there would be a lot less ice build up. Keep in mind that there may be other variables causing those traffic lights to build up and they're not used in the same manner headlights/work lights are. The benefit of having a light get hot enough to melt the snow only works if you never intend to turn them off. Thats usually not the case with work/headlights. I'll be able to prove you wrong in a couple of weeks from now as it has started snowing on Mount Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Don't do it. A lot of municipalities up here got sold on the LED's for traffic lights. Every snow storm We get blocks them up and they have to get cleaned.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://m.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs....emplate=wapart
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Wonderful. It must be true then if it's in the Pocono Record. Like I said, headlights aren't traffic lights. I'll let you know who is wrong about this in a couple of weeks.
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

You could be right. I don't care. I like my Piaa bulbs in my H4 housings.

------ Follow up post added November 6th, 2011 07:30 PM ------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._n_393769.html.

I will say that the Piaa lamps get too hot for water crossings. .

I know engineers at surefire and trucklite. Trucklite is very close to releasing a light that uses led and a reflector. That will be the one to look for. I have seen it in 24 volt version....
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not looking to be right. Just looking for facts from actual experience. A lot of those articles including the huff post one are from 2009. I would assume that the issues they had at that time have been resolved by now. Just because there are kinks that need to be worked out doesn't mean product is inherently bad and useless. There are many advantages to having LED traffic lights. Operational costs are significantly reduced since they are on 24/7 and they are 4x brighter than incandescent which makes them far more noticeable in dark and foggy conditions. Irregardless of all that, traffic lights are not head lights.

My standard incandescent headlights used to look just like the ones in the huff post article you posted when I go up to the mountain. See attached pic, so I don't see how it could get any worse. My point was; 1) don't believe everything you read in the media 2) traffic light and headlights are not an apples-to-apples comparison... by any means so I would be careful to advice someone not to buy them based on something you read on "the internets".

The only reason I'm harping on this is because I design and engineer products for a living so I tend to care more than the average person.

LED and a reflector? Truck-lite headlights already have reflectors, don't they? My surefire light has a reflector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	43476  
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The third generation trucklite will have bulbs that "you cannot see".... They will face a mirror and the mirror will project the "beam". They should be out in the spring.

I have 3 different surefires and the "bulb" type is still the best for distance. When you talk to surefire and trucklite they say try just cannot compete to HID's. That is why my Aux lights are HID.

The military prefers led's in non arctic conditions (according to Oshkosh and AM General). I am fortunate enough to attend a lot of mining shows and military shows and discuss this topic (almost on a monthly basis).

Maybe my PIAA lamps run hot enough to melt the snow, I have never had an issue.
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Gotcha.

I have the Surefire X300. I got it because of the draw/output ratio. No other light can match an LED in draw/output ratio which becomes even more important in a small object like a flashlight. That's why most new flashlights are LED.

As far as I know Surefire only make LED flashlights and as far as I know there's no such thing as an HID flashlight so again let's make sure we're making fair comparisons here. There's a good LED flashlight company here in Portland called Coast: http://www.coastportland.com/hp21-led-flashlight.htm

You're missing my point completely. The Hella H2B bulbs I used to have in the picture did in fact melt the snow and that is precisely what made it worse. As soon as you turn them off the snow melts onto them and freezes. That's why theres ice build up in the first place. It's much easier to remove snow from a headlight if it hasn't melted onto it and turned into ice.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I know for a fact that most end users of Military Vehicles do not like the LED's in snow conditions. I have talked to probably 20-25 plus people in the past six months at the Modern Day Marine show, DLA show, AUSA, etc....

Any ways since this thread has gone way off topic I carry 4 flashlights when I hunt. 2 headlamps and 2 hand helds.

1. Surefire 6p (issued to me in 2001 when I was active duty in the Coast Guard) puts out a lot of light, eats batteries like a fat kid eats candy (65 lumens incadesant)

2. Surefire E1L Outdoorsman (45 Lumen LED). Good on batteries, this is the one I use most when in the woods

3. Princeton Tec Regulated LED EOS (Great Head Lamp 70 Lumens). I use this one everyday hunting.

4. Northern Light Rebel. It's a fairly unknown company, but makes a great lamp. The High Beam puts out about 8000 Lux beam (which is a large amount of light)..... I only use this one if I have game down in Grizzly country after dark.... It's and LED.

Like I said I have seen the trucklite model that is coming out in the spring. It will take care of the looks, heat, output, etc.... I just was not able to get a spec sheet at the past 2 shows...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht, lights, mount, rack