Question for those with air lockers . . . - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Question for those with air lockers . . .

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a little plumbing in advance of having front and rear air lockers installed. Can someone tell me which side of the truck the air fittings on the differentials will be?

Many thanks in advance.

Spalding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Both my RRC and DI were run on the RH side.
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

rh on mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:47 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Top rh on mine....

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...83_640x480.jpg
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Thanks guys.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Nice 4 link
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Nice 4 link
Thanks... decided it was easyist way to go 100" w/b
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

passenger side; I inserted the supply air line inside of clear tubing (recycled oxygen tubing) at all bends and potential friction points...zip tied.

-compressor mounted on the drivers fender lip above the shock tower...good fit and stays cool.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMKColorado View Post
passenger side; I inserted the supply air line inside of clear tubing (recycled oxygen tubing) at all bends and potential friction points...zip tied.

-compressor mounted on the drivers fender lip above the shock tower...good fit and stays cool.
I'm going to have a little larger compressor than would fit there, I think. The compressor will go either in the passenger side seat box or bolted to the frame. A 2.5 gallon tank will go under the passenger seat box, with fasteners and fittings that allow easy removal when it's time to change the fuel filter. I'm going with push-pull-knob air valves instead of solenoids (item no. 3FEC3 at Grainger.com). I'll mount them onto a road case recess dish, which will then be mounted in the front face of the driver's side seat box.

The air lines going from the compressor to the valves and then out to the lockers will be aluminum, with short sections of plastic tubing at the diffs and where the air line will transition from the frame to the radius arm on its way forward to the front diff.

The compressor switch will be in the dash to the left of the steering wheel, and will match the OEM switches, except that it will be green and illuminated.

I'm adding a winch and bumper at the same time. There will be a second recess dish in the front of the battery box. It will have the plug for the winch remote, and a switch that will send control of the winch to another switch in the dash, also oem style, but (on)-off-(on).

I'm just getting the ducks in a row now. These additions will be done by mid summer.

For those wondering what a road case recess dish is, here's a photo. This dish is about 5" x 3.5".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	262-328_s.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	51019  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

If your going to run a larger compressor & tank for tire inflation & air tools don't forget to regulate the air down for the lockers, don't want to blow out the seals
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
If your going to run a larger compressor & tank for tire inflation & air tools don't forget to regulate the air down for the lockers, don't want to blow out the seals
Andy, I'm so glad you mentioned that, because I'm very confused. There are differing opinions about what the ideal pressure is for ARB air lockers. Forum posts on the subject variously report pressures in the 90-105 p.s.i. range as being ideal.

But then I came across an ARB USA blog entry entitled "Air Locker Pressures" In the article an upper pressure limit is not specified. It is mentioned that the solenoids are the weakest link, with seals leaking at 160 psi, and that the locker itself can take up to 600 psi. In the same article, they talk about the ARB compressor (model unspecified) having set points of 70 and 100 psi. The article is really ambiguous and doesn't answer the question of ideal operating pressure for the air lockers.

Citing ARB again, on this page about the CMTKA12 compressor, it says under the "features" section:
Pressure switch controlled air manifold system regulates pressure between 9.3Bar [135PSI] and 10.3Bar [150PSI] suited to air tools and all ARB Air Locker equipped vehicles.
Having all this conflicting information, even within ARB's own literature, I emailed ARB tech support. I described my plans, and this was the reply:
Air pressure of your system will likely be limited by the air valves you intend to run. Realistically anywhere between 100-150PSI is suitable with the higher pressure preferred.

So, I got a guy from ARB telling me that air lockers like 150 psi. I got literature from an ARB compressor saying that its high set point is 150, and that it's good for lockers. And I got a whole lot internet posts saying I need to run a regulator set at 105 psi or lower or void the warranty on the lockers. And while I generally side with the manufacturer over forum posters, I think I'd like to see the warranty paperwork before I say the forum posters are wrong.

My current thinking is this: As some components of my system are rated at 150 psi, I think I will use a 110-135 psi pressure switch, and a 145 psi pressure safety valve. That should keep me out of hot water.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What locker are you installing? Aren't the bulkhead fitting on the RD56 ion a different side than the RD128 and won't it differ front to rear since the 3rds are interchangeable?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
What locker are you installing?
I'll be installing RD128's.

Quote:
Aren't the bulkhead fitting on the RD56 ion a different side than the RD128 and won't it differ front to rear since the 3rds are interchangeable?
I have no idea.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions