Question for SW Owners - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Question for SW Owners

I have asked this question in other threads, but never got an answer.

Do SW doors (full doors), flex at the top like ST doors do at highway speeds?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
No. They do not. I would imagine though if you put them on with an ST roof, they may not seal as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Are you talking about two piece doors like the Series trucks or the newer one piece with wind up windows? I have the two piece and they flex a small amount when hit by high winds but aren't bad, they vibrate the same as the rest of the door.
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrgpg
I have asked this question in other threads, but never got an answer.

Do SW doors (full doors), flex at the top like ST doors do at highway speeds?

Thanks,
Mark
No flex at all.

EwS
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've never understood the flex complaint at all actually - my ST doors stay perfectly in place and seal up pretty nicely.
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I've never understood the flex complaint at all actually - my ST doors stay perfectly in place and seal up pretty nicely.
I spose consider yourself lucky. Mine pull out at highway speed due to the pressure so I can see daylight. I was thinking of getting meself a set of full doors with rollup windows to combat this. Work the hinges so that they are easy to take off when needed for the trail.
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
What kind of top do you have? I thought with a badger aftermarket top, this was the case (and one reason they are worth the $). But the problem occurred with the Rover OEM top.

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm running an Old Bestop, and aside from the fact its got a couple tears and has shrunken up so much that i cant zip my back window, it seals great around the doors.

There is a rubber strip sandwiched between the door tops and bottoms that causes the tops to lean slightly inward - is this not a stock piece?

Follow-up Post:

I guess this thread is useless w/o pix I'll take some when I get a chance.
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:34 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi, I can confirm, that no flex at all...If you buy a new TD5 soft top in Europe, it comes with the one peice door.. I never thought I would say it, but electric windows are great! .tim
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Thanks for the info....my Best Top actually fits well, but the door tops pull out at high speed. This also happens with the fiberglass hard top. I am looking at putting in solid doors with roll up windows, and a gutter kit for a good seal.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old February 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Mark,

I'd do your research and price this out. The doors run around 300 or so just for the door. No glass, window, handle, et al. It could get pricey quick unless you find a used take off for cheap. Also, check to see if the gutter kit will even fit a SW door.

EwS
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
bugula
Keith DuFresne
'94 AA Yellow 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
What kind of top do you have? I thought with a badger aftermarket top, this was the case (and one reason they are worth the $). But the problem occurred with the Rover OEM top.
The Badger top for me hasn't helped with that issue. Matter of fact, it's been a worse all-around choice when compared to the Bestop. I made the mistake of replacing my OE door weatherstripping with the replacements that came with the top and I get wetter now than before. The doors flex just as much and now I get pillowing as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions