Question for all of you metal workers... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Question for all of you metal workers...

Here is the scenario:

I am selling a J**p Cherokee for a family member, and and am trying to fix a few issues with the jeep to get it as nice as possible for the sale. The rear bumper has large dent in its middle (where the jeep was backed into a parking column) and I am trying to figure out how to go about fixing it. As I see it my options are:

1)I found a cheaper source for new bumpers, but painting it right seems to be prohibitively expensive (remember I am on a budget).

2)I have a lead on a second-hand bumper, but I would have to spend a lot to have it shipped across the country plus what the guy wants for it.

3) This evening I got the bumper off the jeep with the idea that I could pull (or push) the dent out myself. The steel seems pretty thin and the paint is not cracked or otherwise messed up on either side so this option seems the most attractive. However I cannot figure out how to get the dent out... do any of you metal workers have any ideas how to get this dent out? Wailing on it with a hammer doesn't seem to work and I can't stand on it or use my weight to get it out. Any votes for taking it a body shop?

Anyone have any other ideas I haven't thought of? I attached a pic of the bumper and I can take another picture of it off the jeep if that would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepbumper.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	14043  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

I dont think you will ever get that dent out 100%. I found a new bumper in one of my crash parts books for $75. And you could always buy primer and the Dupli Color spray paint that should match very close for another $10-14. Or you could probably have it professionly painted for around $100.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Fixing the stock one is not worth the time / effort / money. If you try to remove the dent you will end up painting that bumper so you might as well just buy the local bumper and paint it.

A few options

1. Buy the local bumper and paint it semigloss black, it will match the end caps and no one will know the diffrence.

2. Buy the local bumper, go to your local auto parts store and buy some primer and matching paint. The base coat / clear coat stuff works best IMHO. It will not be a perfect match but will be close.

3. Buy the local bumper and go to your local auto paint store and have them match the paint and put the paint in a spray can for you. It will match the factory paint and be a decent quality of paint but will be more expensive than the other 2 options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

Not a bad idea on painting it gloss black to match the end caps.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I don't know what is on the other side of the bumper but if it is clear and flat maybe get a couple of pieces of iron or at the worse some 2x stock. Make a sandwich with the bumper in the middle and put it in a vise. You will need a pretty large vise to fit that all in. And the end product will just have some smaller dents so most likely it won't be worth it. It might look better for the cheapest amount of money if you have the items in the garage.

Overall, I would do what Dave suggested (#1). The black would look better than red on that truck anyway IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions