Question about radiators - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Question about radiators

So I have a 4.0 and I need to replace the radiator as it was damaged years ago and we just bypassed the damaged area and never fixed it. Now that I am rebuilding the truck I want it fixed. So my question refers to using a different non-genuine radiator. At the time of the damage I bought an aluminum radiator for the day when I got around to replacing the stock one.

I would love to use it but in looking at it I have a few questions. For one I would have to run an external oil cooler. I have one of those and would like to separate the oil cooling from the radiator anyway so that is not a big deal.

The issue I see has to do with the expansion tank on a stock system. It allows for both overflow as well for where you fill up the system. The aluminum radiator I have has a place for a normal radiator cap thus not using the expansion tank. How do you get around that? Do you need an expansion tank per se? Could you simply weld on another nipple for an extra hose like the stock radiator has and just put a cap on the aluminum one and still use the stock expansion tank? Basically any help explaining the system or how to make a radiator like I have work would be great.

Hopefully this makes sense!

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

In theory you don't need the expansion tank, but you do need to make sure you get ALL the air out of the system before you close the cap on the radiator. I would try and mimick the stock set-up and use the expansion tank idea to help you keep things easy. I have yet to find an alloy radiator other than a complete custom one that works well.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Hey Jake. Thanks for the reply. So what about the aluminum radiators that you have tried seems to not have worked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:42 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

If you still have the stock radiator, I'd recommend taking that to a radiator shop and having it rebuilt with a new core. When the original radiator in my RRC packed it in, I had it rebuilt with a thicker core. It was cheaper than an aftermarket replacement, and it never got hot again.

I had to replace the radiator in the 110, and for convenience it now has a Britpart alloy core radiator (with plastic tanks!). But the original is in the garage, and will get recored and installed down the road. I fully expect the lifespan of the replacement radiator to be less than two years.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
Hey Jake. Thanks for the reply. So what about the aluminum radiators that you have tried seems to not have worked?
These damn things love to trap air in the system when they are stock and when you change things around it seems to make them worse...not always but alot of the time. I did install a custom alloy Griffin on a client's rig and it worked so well it was hard to get the heater to work sufficient...I ended up changing the thermostat to a hotter one to make it get warm in the cab. Hindsight seems to suit me well and the best fix is a Genuine LR radiator. They will give you at least 100K and even then they keep up as long as you keep them clean on the interior and blow out the exterior with compressed air every other time you change your oil. Preventative service goes along way on these things.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Good call Tony. I will look into that. Thanks.

I hear ya Jake. Good advice for sure. Thanks as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radiator