Question about LED Tail lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Question about LED Tail lights

I was looking at some LED Tail Lights on Roversnorth.com

LAMP ASSEMBLY REAR STOP/TAIL LED CLEAR

Model #: LED6590

My question is if its sold as a stop/ tail and I wanted a pair to just be tail lights and another pair to be stop lights how would the lights figure out which one should be brighter?
Is there a switch or does STOP/ Tail actually represent light output for either STOP or TAIL, and which one would it be?

I really would prefer not to have to figure out resisters and diodes but I will if I need to. So if anyone has any ideas on how to make one brighter, or dimmer, than the other that would be cool.

To complicate things only slightly I would like all four to illuminate at TAIL intensity and the top pair of lights illuminate with STOP intensity during braking, and the bottom two to increase to STOP intensity to indicate a turn signal.

Thanks
Oscar
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
In order to do what you want, you need three-wire lights for both the top and the bottom.

You do not need resistors or diodes with those LED lights I believe.

Stop/Tail lights have three wires.

One wire is ground.
One wire is "tail" so to speak - and provides low intensity light from the lamp.
One wire is "stop" - and provides high intensity light from the lamp.

If "tail" is connected to +12V and ground is connected to ground, then the light glows at low intensity. At any time, if "stop" is connected to +12V, the light immediately glows at high intensity.

If "tail" is not connected, then the light does not glow at all. At any time, if "stop" is connected to +12V, the light immediately glows at high intensity.

If all three wires are connected (ground to ground, "stop" and "tail" to +12V) then the output of the light will be "stop"
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

so if you want high intensity, both "stop" & "tail" get 12v concurrently?

If 12v is connected to "stop" but no power to "tail," then no light?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I was looking at some LED Tail Lights on Roversnorth.com

LAMP ASSEMBLY REAR STOP/TAIL LED CLEAR

Model #: LED6590

My question is if its sold as a stop/ tail and I wanted a pair to just be tail lights and another pair to be stop lights how would the lights figure out which one should be brighter?
Is there a switch or does STOP/ Tail actually represent light output for either STOP or TAIL, and which one would it be?

I really would prefer not to have to figure out resisters and diodes but I will if I need to. So if anyone has any ideas on how to make one brighter, or dimmer, than the other that would be cool.

To complicate things only slightly I would like all four to illuminate at TAIL intensity and the top pair of lights illuminate with STOP intensity during braking, and the bottom two to increase to STOP intensity to indicate a turn signal.

Thanks
Oscar
Oscar:
I think, it's you who figure out which is which, ie which wires to connect.
The lights you reference have a wire for ground, stop light, and tail light.
On the pair that will be stop lights, you connect the ground wire and the wire that gives you the brighter illumination.
On the pair that are tail lights, you connect the ground wire and the wire that gives you the dimmer illumination.
Both sets have 3 wires, but only 2 are connected.
Very simple really.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:47 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I never even considered they would have 3 wires. That's way too simple thanks again Robert. Lights ordered.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, tail lights