question about installing 300Tdi kit from M&D? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

question about installing 300Tdi kit from M&D?

This is a question to find out how many folks out there have purchased a 300Tdi engine from M&D Engineering to convert a NAS D90 and can help me figure out their instructions...we've pulled the 3.9L V8 and are poised for the "big install" but find the instructions sketchy for us visually oriented wrenchers...
Also, most importantly should I take this to emails with those folks or post it here to let everyone see...I don't want to take up bandwidth for a very rare interest in the US...
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got mine from them. Instructions were plain and simple. Whats the the question? Its a very simple setup...
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:34 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Ask away... everyone will help.
You can also me us at 207-594-8086 for assistance.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Well, let's start

First Mike...thanks for your offer of help...I'll certainly take you up on it...
and Randy...As to their instructions, there's a lot of exteraneous info as well as the Xerox is such that I can't really tell what's going on in the pictures...
1. let's start on the engine mounts...is the engine mount template that long flat piece of steel with the cutouts in it?
2. Instructions say to fashion an aluminum cover for the starter motor? Why? it says it's for waterproofing for wading...I don't think there's anything I can make out of sheet aluminum that would waterproof anything! especially a starter motor!
3. Do I have to modify the seat box???
4. How hard is it to grind away the R380 bellhousing to fit the starter motor?
Thanks,
George
ps
attached is the shiny clean rebuilt 300Tdi waiting for the install...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300Tdi.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5708  
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:43 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can send the bellhousing to me. I'll sort it out for you. Seatbox stays the same. Yes the pieces of metal bolts to the powersteering box mount holes on both sides to give you a location.

JP
316-210-9514

I will try to snap a picture of a a modified bellhousing. It needs to be tig welded when modified

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not much help on this one, sorry.
We use the Tdi R380 gearbox in our swaps so I have no experience cutting and fab'ing the V8 version.
We have a jig set up for installing Tdi mounts into the NAS frame, but I'm not sure what M&D does in that regard.
Seat box should remain as is.

Our stuff ends up being all Tdi so I am of little help here. Plenty of folks have done it though and they'll help.

If you get stumped on the wiring or anything I'll be of more help there. Sorry.

Old May 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Not to throw a stink bomb at the party, but... I thought the R380 version in the V-8 will not handle the torque of the 300Tdi without some modification. Isn't this part of the huge expense with the convert, the transmission must be replaced/rebuilt as well?

Perhaps this kit addresses the issue, and I'm just wandering where I don't belong.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Not to throw a stink bomb at the party, but... I thought the R380 version in the V-8 will not handle the torque of the 300Tdi without some modification. Isn't this part of the huge expense with the convert, the transmission must be replaced/rebuilt as well?

Perhaps this kit addresses the issue, and I'm just wandering where I don't belong.
Nah, the various versions of the R380 are very similar. Its the bell housing, overall length and such that makes them different. Not much on the internals.
The Tdi and V8 ZF automatcis are vastly different inside though.

More at issue would be the 1.2 NAS transfer case, as Euro 90s (especially one with tires as big as 265/75... that is "big" in Europe for a stock 90 according to the guys I speak with) as the Euro 90 would have a 1.4.

Again, we change all our conversions to the 1.4 transfer case, but there is added costs there. Maybe a 1.2 can be gotten away with if the tires are smallish.

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I know the diesels come stock with a 1.4 box from the factory, but I went with a 1.2 box anyway. I really dont have any problem at all with it.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The main difference between the V8 & 300Tdi R380s is the input shaft length & pilot bushing size. The 300Tdi input shaft is .25" longer and uses a larger pilot bush. Internally the gear ratios are the same. There are 3 versions of the R380...J,K, & L suffix boxes. The K & L boxes have bigger countershafts, some beefed up bearings, beefed up input shafts, and revised mainshafts. Given the choice, I would use a K or L suffix box behind a diesel. R380s are rated for 380nm of input torque.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

tranny stays the same

M&D said the stock V8 trans can be used with their adaptor plate and the mod on the bellhousing...also am planning on running the stock 1.2 xfr case...
Jim thanks for the offer to mod the bellhousing, will contact you offline...
George
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:12 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George, When I did mine, I got the entire kit with the R-380 that had the extended Tdi bell housing already. No mods.

I also started out with a new Tdi chassis but the mounts are simple. I think they come in 3 pieces each and they just get welded together while using the jig to locate them on the chassis.
I don't have a cover on my starter and my directions never mentioned that..

I went with a 1.4 t-case myself ...

Love the new engine pic. YOu can see some of the istall in my project pics in the Misc. section..
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

George,
You should be ok with a 1.2 t-box with fairly stock size tires in a D90. A 1.4 t-box has about the same effect on gearing as going to 4.11 R&P. The 300Tdi install that I did used a 1.2 t-box and the truck had 4.11 R&P and 255/85/16 tires. when finished, it really needed a 6th gear on the highway and the owner is looking at adding an overdrive possibly in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, kit, tdi