Question about hot air flowing through vents - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Drew Ciora
Question about hot air flowing through vents

I have a'95 ST. There are a few times in the summer that I have my top on and am running my AC. I will push my heater temp control to the top and the fan control to the top, then turn on the AC. The AC kicks on and runs great. However, I notice that there is always warm to hot air (the outside air temp?) blowing through my heater vents while I am driving (moving) even though I have the heater fan off (fan lever pushed up). Is this normal? It's like I am trying to run my heater and my AC at the same time. I have resorted to pushing the air through my defrost vents to at least get it off my feet. This is the only D90 I have ever owned and don't know of any others in the area. If this is the norm, then ok. I have dealt with it for 3 yrs. and I still love my ride.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Old June 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
A Defenders heat never really shuts down. You just restrict air flow across the heater core when you don't want heat. If the flaps that direct the air aren't set right it will allow hot air in (but its going to allow hot air in anyway due to the design). So check that the cables are moving the flaps all the way to "closed".
Also I found with my own 90 that if you run one of those "snow cowl" thingys on your fender they will act like a ram air intake at speed and force air through the heater into the car.
In the summer I take mine off.
Probably not the answer you are looking for (as it is going to leak some hot air by anyway) but might help a little.
If you relaly didn't like it and wanted to cure it you could use some hose and by-pass the heater core completely for the summer.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90
you could always put a valve in the hoses that run to the heater matrix so you can turn off the hot water supply to the heater matrix completely
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
adding on to what mike said, I have resorted to setting my heater cable to 'summer' and 'winter'. With summer closing the flap tightly when the vent is set to off. This almost completely restricts the air flow to the cabin but makes the heater not blow so well. the key is to really hold the flap tighly closed then tight the cable. 'winter' is the oppsite setting with the flap set to open all the way and will not close tightly.
hope this helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions