QT rear diff guard rubs gas tank - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have the Southdown rear dif guard, it helps slide over things and does not touch the gas tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dave, the only problem with self clearancing a plastic tank is that it will eventually end up with a hole. I took a picture yesterday and will upload later. With Steel, you'd just have a dent in which case I'd just say get-r-done!

Randy, that's certainly an option. I already did my front.

Thanks Scott, I'll look into it.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Dave, the only problem with self clearancing a plastic tank is that it will eventually end up with a hole. I took a picture yesterday and will upload later. With Steel, you'd just have a dent in which case I'd just say get-r-done!

Randy, that's certainly an option. I already did my front.

Thanks Scott, I'll look into it.
I never knew the tanks were plastic. Shows you how much I know NAS!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
No worries. Actually after good look I think I'll just grind off the sharp edges on the QT guard. I dont think it can cause any damage if its got a rounded smooth edge.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/d90_fuel_tank/DSC03873

http://lhsw.com/gallery/d90_fuel_tank/DSC03875

As usual this damn project has taken on a life of it's own. Since I'm treating and preventing rust on the rear cross member and frame back to the middle cross member, I went ahead a pulled off the tire carrier and light bar since I have some rust on those too. Will hopefully get those powder coated after cleaning them up

charles
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Charles, how much clearance is there between the guard and the diff cover? You might be able to remove it and bend it in a little there to give more clearance between it and the tank. You might even be able to do it in place, but if you need to heat it I would be weary of doing it so close to the tank, especially with a known fuel leak.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
There is more clearance than necessary right now between the guard and the cover. I think it's a result from impact on the bottom side of the guard bending the bottom in and the top outward/rearward, and you are right I should be able to adjust it to be a tighter fit, giving me more clearance. I would have thought of that on my own. I swear. really.. ok, maybe not Thanks!

Tank is out, so no worries there. Since I'm tearing crap apart I'm seriously thinking yanking the axle and doing a sewer cap, but otherwise adjust what I have is going to be what I'll do.

charles
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
go ahead and put a pipe cap on, i think itll hold a little more 90wt than stock cover.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Oops. No offense to Keith, but I just realized I misquoted my trailing arm brand. They are rover tracks.

And very happy with them Doug, thanks

Follow-up Post:

Hard to tell what the bottom of that one looks like. Know of any other pics? I think I need to save my pennies for that sexy rockware rear suspension kit!

Tyler, who sells the rovertym stuff?

www.rovertym.com
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas tank