Pyrometer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Pyrometer

Hey,
Just wanted to check and see what peoples thoughts were as to measuring the temp of the exhaust gases on the 300 tdi so one can avoid warping the heads.
In doing some reading everyone seems to talk about using a pyrometer, that gets inserted directly into the "gas" stream, by drilling a hole either pre or post turbo. I am very hesitant to do this...especially pre turbo as i hear there is a serious risk of damaging the turbo if the pyrometer head shears.
I was wondering if any knows of another option, perhaps some other type of thermocoupler? something that can be mounted on the manafold and measure its temp. I know that this will not be as accurate and will induce a delay. But one can make adjustments for that, and measure accordingly.. any thoughts out there..
And if a pyrometer is the only way to go, any suggestions on type/brand?
thanks
c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Consider it a top priority if your engine has been tweaked @ all. Pyrometer isn't to keep you from warping the cylinder head (thats a function of overheating not egt's) it's to keep from avoiding melting the pistons or burning up the turbo impellor. The 300 has an outward facing plate on the exhaust manifold and it is very simple to drill and tap this plate just above the turbo.
Egt temps are usually not of concern in stock tune (way detuned) but if your injection pump has been "tuned" @ all you need to be able to monitor things. Never heard of the tip of a thermocouple shearing/dropping/or burning off.
I imagine that if you manage to do that some thing else will have died before the turbo

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Sure it is possible for an egt probe to sheer off and cause damage, but it's highly unlikely. I've never heard of a this happening on a rover. I've heard of a few cases on a subaru turbo engine that come stock with an egt probe in the "up pipe" where the egt probe sheered off and ruined a turbo, but this was on very high milage cars, where the egt sensor was the original one from the factory. Most diesel trucks that have been tuned have a pyrometer, and there sure are a lot of tuned diesel trucks out there running problem free. Like Doug said, it's only necessary on an engined that has been tuned, i.e. fueling increased. Does your truck smoke when accelerating under load? As long as you know your truck hasn't been tuned, you won't need it. If it is, it's a useful/necessary tool. And if you are worried about it, you could always just replace the rather inexpensive probe every couple years or so. I wouldn't bother running an egt post turbo, since it won't be an accurate reading, as the egt's will be lower post turbo then pre turbo. Just my $ .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

hmmm all good info. thanks guys! As far as i know the engine has not been tuned.. and i am not sure if it smokes yet, as i have yet to turn the key over... Hopefully this Saturday i will have it ready :D
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
My setup:
http://www.whitedogrover.com/vnt.html
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I installed the pyro in the EGT blanking plate in 2001. Works fine. It is important that the pyro sensor tip be in the center of the exhaust stream. IF you mount yours this way, you will need to get a sensor that is at least 2.5" long. The sensor slides into the weld on bung (threaded thingy), it is a hollow tube that allows you to slide the sensor into different depths, before tightening the compression nut to the bung. You will want to slide it into its maximum depth,unless you buy a sensor that longer than 2.5" .
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
defeyago
Santiago
´96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Same setup as Michele on mine... Auber Instruments gauge and thermocouple http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=138

I did it post turbo also. Pictures of my install can be seen here (and read about it in Spanish or google translate it) http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=115695

On my 300tdi I have the following mods.

.- TGV turbo
.- Uprated Intercooler full size.
.- Uprated Air filter MANN Europiclón EP300
.- Uprated (and tweaked) 2.8 HS International Engine Injection Pump
.- Silicon hoses.
.- Uprated 2.5" (and almost free flow) exhaust
.- AuberIns EGT gauge

Cheers,
´04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
´97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
´95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
´94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions