Pure. Misery. (Paint Removal) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
So Danny what did that cost and how long did it take him ?
$1k. I feel like i got my money's worth. I made him blast inside and outside of the panels. He worked his dick off for about 5 hours. Plus media and travel. It was cheaper for me than most cars for the full monty blast, because the majority of the body is aluminum. If it's steel, he has to put a rust inhibitor that's like a gorillian dollars per gallon. If you were doing just the outside of the car, it would only take about an hour or so, and much less media. He guessed that if he did a steel car, inside and out like this, it would be $1500 with the inhibitor.

The dustless part is really misleading. It just means there's no airborne dust. There was a hell of a fucking mess on the ground, but it actually cleaned up reasonably easily. This service is not for the faint of heart. You'd really have to take the ENTIRE car apart to utilize this.

Riverside Dustless Blasting
Troy, NY
518-221-9930

A+ Service. Would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

What media did he use? It appears to be sand or walnut. I had my sodablast pal offer to do the modified series roof for my trailer for a decent price but he couldn't touch until mid Sept. I decided to get the blsat pot out and strip it with walnut. Damn, I'd forgotten just how messy that operation is and why I prefer to pay someone else to do that work. The upside is walnut is biodegradable...not so much the stripped paint though.
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
javelinadave
-
-

A year later and several hundred miles driven I still find baking soda hunks on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2014, 10:13 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
What media did he use? It appears to be sand or walnut. I had my sodablast pal offer to do the modified series roof for my trailer for a decent price but he couldn't touch until mid Sept. I decided to get the blsat pot out and strip it with walnut. Damn, I'd forgotten just how messy that operation is and why I prefer to pay someone else to do that work. The upside is walnut is biodegradable...not so much the stripped paint though.
This is recycled glass bottles. It feels like heavy beach sand. The upside is that it's non-toxic and they use water with it to keep it from turning into a dusty mess. Plus, it can be used on aluminum. According to the guy who does this "dustless blasting" (take this as you will), he says that baking soda is toxic, and needs to be neutralized before painting. It can also kill your lawn and shrubbery.
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:24 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
According to the guy who does this "dustless blasting" (take this as you will), he says that baking soda is toxic, and needs to be neutralized before painting. It can also kill your lawn and shrubbery.
The guy is full of crap. Your wife puts baking soda in the bake goods she makes. You also ingest the stuff to stop acid indigestion. It isn't toxic. Additionally, it also forms a rustproof coating so nothing needs to be added while blasting. As for neutralizing it, you wash the metal with.......................

Wait for it...................

soap and water. It isn't dustless by any means but I hate when people crap on somebody else's services to sell their own.
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The guy is full of crap. Your wife puts baking soda in the bake goods she makes. You also ingest the stuff to stop acid indigestion. It isn't toxic. Additionally, it also forms a rustproof coating so nothing needs to be added while blasting. As for neutralizing it, you wash the metal with.......................

Wait for it...................

soap and water. It isn't dustless by any means but I hate when people crap on somebody else's services to sell their own.

Welp, I did preface the statement by saying that he was trying to sell his process...

Anyways, the reason I did this service is because it was supposed to be less mess, which it is. I did also do a little bit of research on soda blasting now, and some places I found in the internet day the ph of the sodium bicarbonate is enough to kill some plants. Whatever that's worth.
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Danny,
I'm not arguing with you. I hate when people sell their product based on how "bad" the other guys product is. It's kinda like the many negative political ads that will be airing very shortly. Tell me why I should vote for you instead of why I shouldn't vote for the other guy. I would not hesitate to use either method.
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:14 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Danny,
I'm not arguing with you. I hate when people sell their product based on how "bad" the other guys product is. It's kinda like the many negative political ads that will be airing very shortly. Tell me why I should vote for you instead of why I shouldn't vote for the other guy. I would not hesitate to use either method.

Oh no, I totally understand and agree with you.
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

How is the surface finish of the aluminum? Is it rough or smooth? No warping issues?
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:52 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
How is the surface finish of the aluminum? Is it rough or smooth? No warping issues?

It's relatively rough, but I'm not a body man, so I can't say how rough it is compared to something else? This is my most hated type of work. I avoid anything tedious like this at all costs. I'll take a couple pictures of the body up close and post them.

It looks like there is no warping, however, my truck is probably not the one to judge the worthiness of this process. It was pretty whooped from the get go. The "dustless system" is touted as being safe on aluminum. The dude who did my truck is trying to get in with some guy that restores airplanes around here FWIW.
Old September 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

If anything other than soda or soft media (walnut) is used there will be etching of the surface. Even a walnut media will etch if the pressure is too high or the nozzle too close. A good etching primer under a filler primer will easily cover it though.
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:10 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That right front fender skin is the epitome of the Slimey-Limey repair. Id hang that one on the garage wall.

-Jeff

HAHHAAHAA I'll do just that and write slimey-limey right on it!!

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2014 03:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
A good etching primer under a filler primer will easily cover it though.

That's my plan.
Old September 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

What do the galvanized cappings look like, hard to tell from the pictures?

Are you going to galvanize them or just paint them?

Thanks for the pictures.
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Looks good. I'm jealous.

I would think soda would be the way to go. Yeah, it can kill the lawn and such, but not the same way a poison does. If I were to do it, I'd park mine on the gravel drive next to the house, so it wouldn't matter anyway, and then you just use water for clean up and dissolve it all away. If I ever do mine I will be doing an external only job, so it would be considerably less work than what you went through.

What color you going with?
Old September 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
What do the galvanized cappings look like, hard to tell from the pictures?

Are you going to galvanize them or just paint them?

Thanks for the pictures.

Primed and painted. The vast majority of the galvanizing stayed on the cappings.

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2014 10:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
What color you going with?

Arles Blue
Old September 6th, 2014, 12:44 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Interesting. Mine is supposed to be shire blue, but I can't make out what that color actually is.
Old September 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Some up close shots of the aluminum finish.

Didn't know these were steel, but that makes absolute sense. Going to drill them out and reinstall them later.

[IMG]
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:30 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
To the paint booth!!

Old September 13th, 2014, 06:12 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
It's happening!
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
The ones that hold the steel
Strips down?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint