Purchase Advice Appreciated - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

Purchase Advice Appreciated

Local guy has 3 owner 97 soft top manza red with 85,000 miles on it. Extremely clean. No rust visible, even in most susceptible areas. I will add pictures when I can figure out how to do it. He wants 34000. Any thoughts. My research has shown most with miles over 60 to 70000 are closer to 30K. Thank you for your time. I could use the help because I have to pull the trigger soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Tell the guy you want it inspected by a independent Land Rover shop. Bring it down to The Woodlands (~1 Hour 15 Minutes drive from CS) and we'll go over it with you. No charge. There is sure to be plenty that needs to be done to give you some ammunition to get a lower price.

Kevin Collins
Land Rovers Unlimited
940 Rayford Road
Spring, Texas 77386
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

Kevin,

I really appreciate the help. If I get this truck, I will certainly utilize you for service. Would it be ok if I called you at your shop with a couple more specific questions? Thanks for your time.

Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Trevor, if you want to get opinions on price from the peanut gallery, click "Go Advanced" when posting a message, scroll down a little, and click "Manage Attachments" you can then add attachments.

If the pictures are too big (i think they have to be 800x60 max or something) you'll need to resize them. Someone posted an online resource to do this is you can't on your PC, or just email them to me and I'll put them up for you.

Places to look for rust are on the bottoms of the doors, the hinges, and the rear cross member.

hth
charles
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

charles, thanks for your help. I will email them to you.

Let me give you the background to this Defender. My dad bought it new in 1997. He had saved for a long time to buy one and finally got it the last year they exported them to the US. In 2000, he lost his job and had to sell it. Unfortunately, he was too proud to tell anyone he was selling it until it was gone.

To this day, he cries every time he talks about it. I have been searching for that Defender for a long time. The other day, I started yet another search and I have finally found it AND it is for sale. I am getting this truck back to him no matter what, but I would like to approach this transaction as business-like as possible considering the emotional attachment. I had hoped it would be a private defender enthusiast, but it is in a fine car dealership. The pictures all look legitimate, but it will still be a bit uncomfortable because I can't see it in person. Considering the mileage and the condition, does this price look reasonable?

Thanks for your time,

Trevor
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Great story, and you sound like a terrific son, but don't tell the dealer this story! Kevin is right that any knowledgeable rover place can point out all sorts of things that you could use as fule to bargain with on the price (although they shouldn't detract you from buying it, and that doesn't sound likely). Just don't lay your cards out on the table before trying to get a better price. Worst case they say no .

Send the pictures to charles -at- galpin ~dot~ org and I'll post them up.

charles
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thumbs up

Wow, thats a clean looking truck!

I think you are going to have a tough time knocking them down on price, but I noticed the front tires looked worn, and it needs an alignment, has a few leaks, and there are signs of rust on the battery box, bottom of at least the driver side door, and the frame around the gas tank. I'd like to think you could play those up a little.

Pictures are here: http://lhsw.com/gallery/trevorD90

charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trevorD90-2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	13624  
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_d90
Kevin,

I really appreciate the help. If I get this truck, I will certainly utilize you for service. Would it be ok if I called you at your shop with a couple more specific questions? Thanks for your time.

Trevor
Trevor, no problem. I should be in and out through the week. If I'm not in either leave a message or give me a call on my cell - 713.992.4501

Kevin

Follow-up Post:

Holy original tires Batman!

You've got some ammunition there Trevor...but I'd say the price is fair for it. Monza Red is pretty rare as well. The top still looks good from the photos and the rust issues will be easy enough to take care of.

DO EEEEET!

If you drive it back from wherever it is get a new set of tires and the alignment done before you leave town...I don't think I'd trust those for very far.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If you can't get them to come down on the price, I would try to get them to throw in tires and the alignment, or atleast pay half of the cost to have it done. You should be able to get something out of them. It does look very clean though...nice find!
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:46 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
clean clean.. wow. At least its not at Copley, they'd have your for 60K or something crazy...

~Steve
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yeah no appologies other than the battery box. Sweet truck I hope you are able to get it.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

Ok, I know I am new to this, but approximately how much do tires/alignment run?

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I recently replaced my tires with BFG AT KOs, (looks like what you currently have on your truck now) it was around $800.

That's a very nice truck, there should always be room to negotiate. Bring a cashiers check for $30k with you and be prepaired to write a check for more cash, if he isn't willing to budge.

Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Alignments are cheap on any solid axle vehicle. There is little to adjust. Under $100. A set of new 265/75-16 BFG All Terrains from Discount Tire Company in College Station with mounting, lifetime balance and road hazard is $991.21.

You can find them cheaper than that...but at least that gives you a number to negotiate with.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
If you want to try justify an expense, replacing the battery box with a genuine replacement should add up to a fair amount, although I'm not sure exactly how much. Anyone?
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
If you want to try justify an expense, replacing the battery box with a genuine replacement should add up to a fair amount, although I'm not sure exactly how much. Anyone?
I bet pricey. If no one else knows I'll see if I can get a price on it tomorrow.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Last I checked they were NLA. I bought mine from George. I think it ran a couple hundred (but that was a few years ago) and you'd still have to paint it. I was lucky and mine was already alpine white, so I skipped that step.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

I may have to buy this defender without seeing it. Also, there is no reasonable LR shop to have it inspected near the seller. If my only option is to buy and then inspect, are you all aware of a protocol for payment so as to return the truck if major issues found. For instance, and I am just guessing here, pay 10% - 25% up front then ship and have it inspected with the balance to be released after full evaluation. Having never bought cars long distance and with no credible Land Rover evaluation close by, I am trying to cover myself from an engine or transmission problem that could be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Trevor
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I've never heard of anything like that. I don't think you're going to be able to pull that off but maybe someone else might know something. Remember, you are buying an 11 year old truck...

Maybe you could work a 3 to 6 month warranty.

Also, you might be able to find someone on this site that lives near enough to check it out for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_d90
I may have to buy this defender without seeing it. Also, there is no reasonable LR shop to have it inspected near the seller. If my only option is to buy and then inspect, are you all aware of a protocol for payment so as to return the truck if major issues found. For instance, and I am just guessing here, pay 10% - 25% up front then ship and have it inspected with the balance to be released after full evaluation. Having never bought cars long distance and with no credible Land Rover evaluation close by, I am trying to cover myself from an engine or transmission problem that could be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Trevor
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Firestone worked for me.

I bought my 90 long distance. I spent hours figuring out what were potential problem areas. This all came down to the basic bs. I found a Firestone and had the seller take the vehicle to the shop and have them inspect it. I know you’re not going to get the best inspection, but it is a lot better than flying and finding out later. I was very happy with their assessment and I have owned the vehicle for almost to a year…And there have been no surprises that Firestone missed. And if there is not a Firestone find another chain that you feel comfortable with. I don't have my vehicles serviced by Firestone I just use them for initial feedback.

I think they charged me something unreasonably cheap, like $30.00 bucks. I made them a list and had them check off all the data points that I requested. I spoke to people on this site, Geroge at RDS, ROvers North and a few other shops asking what I shold look for in problems with my vehicles year and milage. I don't have the list any more. Since it was a Defender the technician had no problem spending some time checking out the vehicle. I have to add that a certain Frankie Carbone aka HH described the vehicle very accuratley.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions