Purchase Advice Appreciated - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

When I bought my truck I was lucky that Ade (Thanks Ade!!! ) was on a business trip and was close enough to take a look at mine for me.

I'd be surprised if there is anyone on the board that is very close to it since it's over 100 miles from any major city.

I'll PM you another option.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If you are near a LR store you should go in and ask them for a certified vehicle checklist. It is a 140pt inspection that you could give to a shop to have them check out. If they are a legitimate dealership they won't want to tarnish their name, and I would ask to speak to the tech that inspected it when they took it in. If there is a major problem within a short period of time they will probably work with you to resolve it so that you don't spread bad press about them on the internet. I know that is how the dealer I work at operates.

Its always best to have an unbiased opinion, but if all else fails, the tech should give you an accurate assessment.
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90
When I bought my truck I was lucky that Ade (Thanks Ade!!! ) was on a business trip and was close enough to take a look at mine for me.

I'd be surprised if there is anyone on the board that is very close to it since it's over 100 miles from any major city.

I'll PM you another option.

Kevin
It was fun, I brought along 3 guys that had never seen a Defender before. Now, they call me everytime they see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
If you are near a LR store you should go in and ask them for a certified vehicle checklist. It is a 140pt inspection that you could give to a shop to have them check out. If they are a legitimate dealership they won't want to tarnish their name, and I would ask to speak to the tech that inspected it when they took it in. If there is a major problem within a short period of time they will probably work with you to resolve it so that you don't spread bad press about them on the internet. I know that is how the dealer I work at operates.

Its always best to have an unbiased opinion, but if all else fails, the tech should give you an accurate assessment.
That's a great idea! Plus, when you take it to LR, they will nitpick..find a laundry list of issues...most that are frivolous...but should help in bargaining the price down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
If you want to try justify an expense, replacing the battery box with a genuine replacement should add up to a fair amount, although I'm not sure exactly how much. Anyone?
$154 + Paint + Labor. Would add up to quite a bit.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
If you are near a LR store you should go in and ask them for a certified vehicle checklist.
That would work well...but unfortunately it's over 100 miles to nearest dealer.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, I can grab one for you, but I don't know if my scanner will work or not. It may be available online if you go to Landrover.com and click on certified pre-pwned.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Checklist.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf landrover-inspection.pdf (114.7 KB, 282 views)
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

To all,

I just wanted to update everyone. I know you all have your own lives, but I really appreciate all the help I got on my D90 purchase. As mentioned above in this post, I found my dad's old D90 for sale 8 years after he had to sell it. Well, thanks to everyone's advice and encouragement, I GOT IT. It arrived by truck today. It basically looks as good as it did when he bought it new in 1997. I will be presenting it to him on Father's Day and I can't wait. All in all, just a big thank you to the dedicated enthusiasts on this site.

Take care. I look forward to many more conversations.

LSD90
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Have your camera ready. I'd love to see the expression on his face. You'll probably need a hankerchief too. There is definately a spot reserved for you in Rover Heaven.

-Neil
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
This is pretty cool thing to do. Does your dad have any idea?
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
very cool!
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wow - great story! Congrats on the purchase for your dad and you.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
To bad this great event for your Dad can't be on Oprah , then maybe my wife can understand this rover addiction .
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:45 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Awesome Trevor! I'm so glad it worked out. Like someone else said be sure to have a camera ready for when your dad sees it.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Trevor's dad dropped off the D90 this week at the shop - and he wasn't pulling our leg. It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. No doubt one of the cleanest D90s I've seen that hasn't been to Mike's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions