Puma v. Galvy 110 MR doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
CFLSurfer
Chris
1986 110

Puma v. Galvy 110 MR doors

I'm about to take the plunge and trash my crusty old lift handle 2nd row doors that leave nice rust piles every time I open them.

Since I'm gonna be paying unicorn tear prices, I'd just assume not have to deal with rust again for the next 10 years.

Either gonna get a set of Puma shells or Ashtree galvanized and do the build up. Small difference in price but that's not the issue. I'm thinking the galvys will last longer but be harder to paint the frames vs. the Pumas rusting a little sooner but taking paint better on the steel frame.

Can anyone comment on how their Pumas have held up or recommend one over the other for fit/finish, durability, value?

Btw the crew over at Ashtree is super cool to work with and is making the shipping pretty much a non-issue.

Thanks-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ashtree learnt a lesson from the shipping of my bulkheads and doors. I expect to go back to them at some point down the road for replacement rear door.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFLSurfer View Post
I'm about to take the plunge and trash my crusty old lift handle 2nd row doors that leave nice rust piles every time I open them.

Since I'm gonna be paying unicorn tear prices, I'd just assume not have to deal with rust again for the next 10 years.

Either gonna get a set of Puma shells or Ashtree galvanized and do the build up. Small difference in price but that's not the issue. I'm thinking the galvys will last longer but be harder to paint the frames vs. the Pumas rusting a little sooner but taking paint better on the steel frame.

Can anyone comment on how their Pumas have held up or recommend one over the other for fit/finish, durability, value?

Btw the crew over at Ashtree is super cool to work with and is making the shipping pretty much a non-issue.

Thanks-Chris
We have had really good luck with the Ashtree doors - less of an issue than you think with the paint adhesion as well. Costs are not all that bad with the Ashtree doors compared to finding a good set of second row NTO doors.

If your glass, latch, and lift mechanism are in good condition then the cost is tolerable. Just install new felts/guides. With NTO doors you get all the parts but have to strip it apart to get a good paint-job anyway.

FWIW we only bring in Ashtree goods when running a full container as they are just too easy to damage alone - or the freight costs go way up with full crating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
2008 up/puma doors are all steel and zinc coated

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:42 PM
CFLSurfer
Chris
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
So as far as rust prevention - obviously better than older steel/ali design but how would you compare to galvanized? Is anyone seeing rust on these Pumas inside of 5 years?

Much appreciated-
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

what prices are unicon tears now days for rear doors?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Are they the rounded top doors that aren't welded?
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
If you can score NTO puma doors, waxoyl them and they will outlive you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, door