Puma Engine Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Puma Engine Question

Not sure if anyone here would know but confident with all this talent someone can chime in.

A friend in South Africa is driving to Kenya and likely leave her 2005 Defender there and is concerned with import laws. So her question is which is better.... the 2007-2011 Ford's DuraTorq line (Puma engine) vs Ford's DuraTorq ZSD-422...

Basically whether is selling her TD5 for newer Defender and which is better engine. An option we unfortunately we will never have......

Any info I can pass on is appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mariella.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	113352  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2015, 05:41 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Phil:
I can't follow your story line.
Is the friend going to try and import the 2007-2011 Ford's DuraTorq line (Puma engine) or Ford DuraTorq ZSD-422 to USA or Kenya, or is the concern selling the 2005 Defender in South Africa?
Am not sure which import laws are the concern because you didn't specify.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Go ask on a UK forum. How would anyone here know?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
IMO there haven't been enough years of their use to really tell. Both are great to drive, both are a pain to work on. The 2.2 is insanely tight, even changing a starter on it would be a PITA
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Robert, I lined up the question as best as I understood it as I'm not familiar with engines. As I understand, she's debating selling her 2005 TD5 if newer Puma better and/ or if issues with Kenyan import laws. She's truing to figure out if keeping the TD5 is worth it in Kenya.

Thanks Zack, I'll pass that on.

And John, I'm not a member in the UK forum, I'm a member here. There are tons of experienced members here and quite a few foreign members. But thanks anyways =)
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
Robert, I lined up the question as best as I understood it as I'm not familiar with engines. As I understand, she's debating selling her 2005 TD5 if newer Puma better and/ or if issues with Kenyan import laws. She's truing to figure out if keeping the TD5 is worth it in Kenya. Thanks Zack, I'll pass that on. And John, I'm not a member in the UK forum, I'm a member here. There are tons of experienced members here and quite a few foreign members. But thanks anyways =)
Keep the TD5 they are well understood by independent shops globally.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
A quick google reveals it needs to be RHD and less than 8 years old, so she will need to get a newer one.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:51 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Amazing how most countries in the world ban imports of old vehicles while we ban new.
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:05 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
Robert, I lined up the question as best as I understood it as I'm not familiar with engines. As I understand, she's debating selling her 2005 TD5 if newer Puma better and/ or if issues with Kenyan import laws. She's truing to figure out if keeping the TD5 is worth it in Kenya.
The best course of action for someone in South Africa would be to call up the Kenyan embassy or even visit it and find out directly what the laws and regulations are and not rely on heresay from the usual suspects who frequent this forum.

There may be different laws for someone traveling through verses emigrating into Kenya permanently.
Import duties may or may not apply depending on the circumstances and so on.
She needs qualified guidance to be able to make an educated decision.

As far as engines are concerned as stated by Jason, keeping the TD5 is paramount if at all possible over the Puma type engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
Amazing how most countries in the world ban imports of old vehicles while we ban new.
Exactly, we wouldn't want to threaten our big greedy US auto manufactures who will not put a small diesel in a vehicle we can buy : or allow something across the border that might put out a small amount of diesel exhaust .

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The best course of action for someone in South Africa would be to call up the Kenyan embassy or even visit it and find out directly what the laws and regulations are and not rely on heresay from the usual suspects who frequent this forum.

There may be different laws for someone traveling through verses emigrating into Kenya permanently.
Import duties may or may not apply depending on the circumstances and so on.
She needs qualified guidance to be able to make an educated decision.

As far as engines are concerned as stated by Jason, keeping the TD5 is paramount if at all possible over the Puma type engines.

Exactly, we wouldn't want to threaten our big greedy US auto manufactures who will not put a small diesel in a vehicle we can buy : or allow something across the border that might put out a small amount of diesel exhaust .
Thanks! She can figure out the legalities of importing. I think she needed some guidance on whether worth upgrading.

Info passed on and appreciated.
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Way of Life
Randy
1988 Defender D110

Registry
I like my Puma so far 120000 km on it, and just the glow plug relay and 2 plugs.
Read the laws and find the holes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine