Puma doors help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
Puma doors help

Greetings Defender addicts. Question. I have an '86 D90 and got a set of Puma doors for it. Anyone has done that upgrade lately? I saw on a few posts that some did the swap and the striker bold holes for the newer striker needed were already drilled in the door frame. It appears that my truck doesn't have the pre-drilled holes for the newer style striker. Can any of you guys help with location of the holes to drill holes for it? Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:23 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
I guess more specifically. Anyone knows the exact location to drill or could help me out with a trace from where their striker is drilled into the tub / frame?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:22 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
Anyone? Pleeeeze.

Bump :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Couldn't you mount them and see where they hit?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:45 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
Gave that a swing. But is way imprecise since the closed door covers the sill and it's nearly impossible to align the striker from the inside, let alone mark the location. So wondering if anyone has a layout / distance or even a simple cardboard trace.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriPilot View Post
It appears that my truck doesn't have the pre-drilled holes for the newer style striker.
Are you saying that your pillars don't have a second set of holes or that the new strikers don't fit the holes on the pillars where the old strikers were mounted? What style handles did your old doors have?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:00 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
My pillars don't have the doors for he new striker. The old doors are lift lever so the striker is the larger one that bolts lower on the pillar. I am looking for anyone that can help trace and pinpoint the two holes I need to drill higher up for the new style striker. Thanks much!
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:06 PM
cowboy
steven

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tml#post167145
Did you see the above post? I suppose it could mean that the pillars on D's with the pre-Puma push-button doors already have the holes in the right place. Anyone?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:31 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
Yeah. Mine are the lift lever so unfortunately the holes aren't there. I think NAS and the newer push buttons did have the holes sounds like.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:41 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriPilot View Post
Yeah. Mine are the lift lever so unfortunately the holes aren't there. I think NAS and the newer push buttons did have the holes sounds like.
OK, so, you need intrusive access to a Defender with push button doors.. If you can swing that, maybe pull the strikers & make a template for the holes with tracing paper? Ugh. Or just to go out on a limb, buy a pillar with the right bolt pattern from a wreck somewhere in the world & experiment with making templates until you're convinced that you've perfected your method?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:42 PM
JiriPilot
Jiri Marousek

Registry
Well. Hoping someone in process of restoration of an NAS or later style truck has a tub being worked over that could trace it. Would actually be good as a PDF to share here since puma door upgrades seem common. I know it would be a PITA to remove the striker from a running truck. Hopefully someone has a tub or is restoring a tuck that is willing to do a quick trace?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door