Puma dash upgrade ? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Thread bump & question- would the Puma dash work with the LS engine? I was going to put the Dakota Digital display in, but if the GM 'brain' will 'talk' to the Puma dials, I might go that route...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Not without some type of signal converter. Nick says he plans on making the Puma cluster work, but I don't think it's high on his priority list so it may be a while before there's a straight-forward solution. I think the LR3 cluster would need to be the basis for the swap since you get a MPH readout, no 'Diesel Fuel Only' and an 8k RPM tach. It looks to be interchangeable with the Puma cluster but I haven't been able to test that theory yet.

The last Puma/LS swap I did I just ran my own gauges. If you do it right the end product doesn't look out of place at all.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2016, 10:21 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Not without some type of signal converter. Nick says he plans on making the Puma cluster work, but I don't think it's high on his priority list so it may be a while before there's a straight-forward solution. I think the LR3 cluster would need to be the basis for the swap since you get a MPH readout, no 'Diesel Fuel Only' and an 8k RPM tach. It looks to be interchangeable with the Puma cluster but I haven't been able to test that theory yet. The last Puma/LS swap I did I just ran my own gauges. If you do it right the end product doesn't look out of place at all. -Ash
There are canbus signal converters exist, they aren't rocket science they are just time consuming. You're likely looking in the wrong places. Farm equipment, semi trucks, often this is where you'll find someone trying to integrate analog to digital signals for canbus.
Old September 16th, 2016, 11:07 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I've been in an ls puma dash truck with stock gauges and it all worked.

No clue how they did it though.
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I've been in an ls puma dash truck with stock gauges and it all worked.

No clue how they did it though.
Can we find out?
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:54 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
https://www.facebook.com/safarihp/vi...7935328895669/
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If i remember correctly you have a couple pair of canbus wires that go to/from the computer. One of them runs the tach. There was another wire but I forget what it didn't do. All the dash lights will work as normal. SHP was working on a patch to plug and play it but do not know where that stands.
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
If i remember correctly you have a couple pair of canbus wires that go to/from the computer. One of them runs the tach. There was another wire but I forget what it didn't do. All the dash lights will work as normal. SHP was working on a patch to plug and play it but do not know where that stands.
If you follow the FB link above they have boards out for production. I'd suggest dropping them a line for details.
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:13 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW #2-300Tdi #3-'12 LR4

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	159544Get Iveco dash, lol.

I own both, drive both. Puma and 300TDi non-AC. I like the functionality and vents of the 300TDi.

The Puma dash, whilst looking more modern, takes up more space. If you are 5'5", prob no big deal. I am 6'2", and the 300TDi dash offers a LOT more legroom.

The Puma dash's two center AC vents are about worthless if the sun is shining in one of the side windows. It does defrost well, but then again I use the heated windscreen function for that also.

If you go Puma, it would be smart to do the double DIN dash center. Pumas do have different metal bracketry. The wiring can be done, see defender2.net or the LRO forums. Or have Safari do it, I believe he cracked the code.

The popular mod here in Europe is to upgrade to TD5 dash, or MUD UK/Raptor center panel.

Or go crazy, design your own, mod steering column to move inboard three inches, shave 2 inches off seatbox, and move seats inboard. That way your outside elbow is not in constant contact with the door panel! That's what Iveco did, with 175HP to boot.
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:39 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

There are ways to make the gauges work on a non can bus system but it involves gutting them - the center LCD screen would be dead. But you can do it (the warning lights and also work)

Talked to north Hollywood speed about this a while a go... basically you gut everything behind the panel and install Vdo guts... not cheap but possible.
Me I decided not to bother with it. And I like the normal NAS lay out

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash