Defender Source Forum banner

Puma dash conversion

30K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  itolond 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I would start a thread about installing the Puma dash in an older Defender. Lots of people ask for this, but it is not all that easy. In searching around there are a few places that have done it and some in the works.

We are making a kit that will place the R380 shifter and a diff lock linkage in the correct location solving one of the hurdles.
Engine and gearbox stay in the normal locations (V8, Tdi, whatever).
We have done it with automatics and that isn't as bad, but the 5 speed was an issue.

Safari HP is working on a box to make the Puma can-bus system work without the Puma ECU so that will make the dash work.

We will be selling the gearshift adapters in order to get back development costs.

So things are looking up for those who want to do this.

Image attached was from mock up. Finished pieces are going into the CNC machine now.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I got some messages about "why" does this need to be done. So here is a shot of the Puma interior with the stock shifters. Have a look at the distance between the front of the seat box and the dash. It is really small. The normal R380 shifter would come up inside the dash, so it has to be moved back otherwise the Puma dash install is impossible (unless you go automatic). Image of an automatic with the Puma dash we did attached as well.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
No, we looked into that hoping to not have to make parts.
It doesn't work.
Disco unit is too far back. You'd have to cut the seat box and make a tunnel cover and it doesn't address the diff lock issues using the stock Puma parts.

We are going for something that bolts in and once done looks like it was supposed to be there.

Image attached of anfonee1's set up using the Disco gearbox. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but just not what we are going for.

Attachments

#14 ·
Sounded quite passive aggressive, I'm not trying to argue with you, I am grateful for the work you guys put into this and the wiring if it comes available.

The only other pieces of info I think is fair for people to know is that they would need a puma bulkhead and blower motor for this conversion.

#15 ·
Not aggressive. I'm just busy and don't have time to type fluff so it comes off wicked direct. :)

Oh yes, people will need a ton more parts to do the conversion. Lots and lots of them, and then they get to have fun with wiring. :):)

#25 ·
#32 ·
Any update on your conversion kit?

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2018 01:04 PM ------

KGH do you have pictures as to where you put the ac with the Puma Dash conversion. I have a 2007 defender shell, it came with no engine or dive train; however it has the full Puma dash with complete ac. I want to put it in my TD5 110 I like how you kept the original gear shiftier positions, just wandering where did you put the ac blower motor assembly

#33 ·
KGH do you have pictures as to where you put the ac with the Puma Dash conversion. I have a 2007 defender shell, it came with no engine or dive train; however it has the full Puma dash with complete ac. I want to put it in my TD5 110 I like how you kept the original gear shiftier positions, just wandering where did you put the ac blower motor assembly

That pic is from the PumaUpgrades guy. My Puma dash is a Puma truck. :)

#34 ·
I figured I would start a thread about installing the Puma dash in an older Defender.
ECR:

Any updates on the availability of a kit?

Thanks,

Paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.