PUMA Clutch hydraulics MC, line and SC replacement - how? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2015, 10:21 PM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
PUMA Clutch hydraulics MC, line and SC replacement - how?

Hello all,

90000Km PUMA Defender recently new to me

Symptoms:

- Over the last two days clutch feels 'different', hard to explain...
- Couple of times clutch pedal stays pushed in after depressing it - have to pull it up myself.

- No fluid on pedal mechanism or footwell
- Return spring is intact and working

Fluid level in reservoir is low, have topped it up and now I want to (forward) bleed the system as it's always made a noise/felt like a "brrrrrp", when I depress the clutch (air in the line?) Anyway, how is this done? I think I understand the idea but after a look under the machine I couldn't immediately locate the slave cylinder - in fact, where is the clutch?

I've done a bit of reading of the huge merged thread here, also watched a youtube video or two, so maybe it's time to replace the lot and what I'm keen for - if they exist - is instructions that are relevant to the Puma models. What are the part #'s ?

I'll give it a crack anyway, but seems like at least at the master cylinder end there are few more electrics in the way (?)

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2015, 10:42 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

If the pedal goes to the floor and stays there and you aren't seeing any leaks, then you more than likely have a master cylinder that is bypassing..master is up in the engine bay right next to the brake booster..connected to the clutch pedal....
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:02 PM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
If the pedal goes to the floor and stays there and you aren't seeing any leaks, then you more than likely have a master cylinder that is bypassing..master is up in the engine bay right next to the brake booster..connected to the clutch pedal....
It'll come up if I pull it with my hand, but threaten to do the same again (it feels mushy). Tends to work again once I've stopped the vehicle for a while because I've reached my destination (shortish trips at the moment).

Ok, so master end, (which I found when I topped up the reservoir). Thanks for the tip.

Bypassing? Does that mean the master pushes the slave on depress but the slave return doesn't push the master back once the clutch pedal force is removed?

Anything I can do to test/fix this other then remove it and figure it out (or not) the long way? Perhaps is this one of those cases where it's 90% likely I'll need a replacement? ...and then while I'm in there I may as well do the lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2015, 11:45 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It means that instead of the seal inside the master sealing s you push, the fluid is bypassing the seal instead of being pushed down to the slave, so when the piston in the master reaches the bottom of its travel there is no pressure to push the pedal and piston back up..but if you had to top up the reservoir then you have a leak somewhere... Since you will be bleeding the system for either one I usually recommend to replace both...the slave is a very simple job...master isn't too difficult, just gotta make sure you get the free pedal height right..
Old December 20th, 2015, 01:02 AM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
I'll give it a go.

Hrrrm, but whereabouts is the slave located?

I couldn't see anything familiar when I hauled myself under...

And is there a standard website people go for parts?
(Shipping to NZ)

master/slave/assorted tubes huh...

Thanks for your help!
Old December 21st, 2015, 03:40 AM
agentmulder
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA

Registry
Ok, so the slave is located in the transmission...

And the workshop manual lists no less than 19 special tools required and 'assistance' in getting to it.

Looking forward to this!

Old December 21st, 2015, 11:22 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Yeah, that's a really good field fix place for the slave cylinder.... "just" remove the gearbox....

no wonder defenders are being shyed away from worldwide....
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:46 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
downside of the MT82. Ford Mustangs have this problem as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch