Puma 2.2 diesel SKIRT STIFFENER - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: Skirt Stiffener removal on a Puma 2.2 diesel motor
Skirt Stiffener removal on a Puma 2.2 diesel motor 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20th, 2017, 12:57 AM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock
2015 Defender 130 pick up

Puma 2.2 diesel SKIRT STIFFENER

Hi all, I'm a new member just started today ... thanks for letting me join
I was the proud owner of a Defender 130 with a Puma 2.2 lit diesel Motor, until she ended up in a small river and died, sitting in over 1m of water for 4 hours before help arrived, we disscovered water in the engine block and everywhere else.
We are now trying to strip down the motor as we suspect water was at the top of the pistons when we did eventually get her stated (after cleaning out what we thought was all of the water) ... to cut a long story short ... we don't have a decent LR agent where I am, so we are trying to strip the motor down ourselves with the help of a manual or two ... however ... we cannot get the Skirt Stiffener off ... 22 bolts later (Just like the manual says) it rocks about but we cannot get it off ... !

Any ideeas would be much appreciated ! Is there something that we are forgetting ... a secret bolt, clip, pin ???

Cheers, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Engine has the be separated from the transmission, clutch , flywheel and the Crank shaft seal carrier all have to be removed. On the puma engine the crankseal carrier bolts to the skirt stiffener horizontally, from the side.
Old August 20th, 2017, 07:22 AM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock

Ohhhh Nooooo .... we were hoping to avoid that situation ... any idea if it can just be 'partially removed a few Centimeters (An Inch or 2)

Thanks for this !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
Ohhhh Nooooo .... we were hoping to avoid that situation ... any idea if it can just be 'partially removed a few Centimeters (An Inch or 2)

Thanks for this !
Unsure ,I am.just looking at the engine service manual and see that it bolts to that location. Same issue with 200tdi ladder frame but In different location.

I've never worked on myself

Unfortunately looks like you will need a Crank seal to do this operation
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:17 AM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock

Sounds like we are in the same boat Mathew, we never worked on a Puma motor before, every other motor but not this one. We are attempting to pull the pistons and rings out to see if the (suspected) trapped water on top of the pistons, may have damaged the rings and pistions, or worse. One cylinder indicated a very low compression ... and the vehicle has only done 25,000 klms ....
Cheers, Paul
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you started it without pulling the injectors and spinning it first to blow enything out of the cyls, I would suspect a bent rod on that one cyl.

The gear reduction starter is strong enough to bend a rod and if there was water in a cyl......

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:31 AM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock

Geeshh .. thanks Doug ... has anybody else got any good news ?
Actually, we did pull all the injectors out and hand spun the motor for a while (By hand I might add) ... and yep, drops of water came out ... dropped all the oils in engine, diffs gearbox etc. (Found water) ... then put everything back together (as you do) and ran the motor for a few hours in the workshop (on and off). Then took the vehicle for a few quite runs around the town, she went really well. My son reckoned he could hear that the motor 'sounded different' but I was going on performance .. which was good (Normal) !
Then we took her for a 70 klm run on very good flat roads before we took to a mountain on a rough road, a really rough road, wet slimmy, muddy in parts but the good old girl just kept plodding along as she always did (I drive by the Taco by the way, not the speedo), just as we were approaching the top of the mountain, I had to slow down for a motor ahead of me, who was battling the muddy track ... then she just stops ! Took a while to start here again and get her reving ... like it was flooded, or ... like the elbow on the Turbo Charger had gone (again .... 3 times in 2 years) ... could only get her going along on mid to high revs. Got to the top, stopped for while ... let her cool off, then off we went again ... took to a smaller track, to visit a Hydrological site then 3 to 4 hours later, couldn't start her, she turned over OK (I have 2 batteries fitted), but heaps of white smoke, not black, not gray, "White Smoke" kept coming out of the exchust ... nearly kicked over a few times, but it really felt like it was flooding ... and that was that ... had to get our 24 year old V8 Defender to tow us back to the City ... and here we on Defender Source (after checking the compression etc. etc.), so now trying to strip down the motor and check whats happened inside ... a bent con rod sounds like a high possibility ... along with one or two other items no doubt !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, puma