Pulse Generator - LED Odometer Display - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Pulse Generator - LED Odometer Display

I would like to advance the miles on a new replacement speedo/LED odometer unit to match the mileage of an original LED odo display that is flashing and soon to die.

I searched and read that this can be done with a pulse generator. Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth trying to get one, or should I just suck it up and get it done at the local speedo shop?

(They want $125 to advance the mileage on the new unit on the bench.)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

they want HOW much? Damn! You can build the parts for just $10 or so for a pulse generator.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I to want to Know I have set my new speedo up on the bench. I got it powered up but was unsure of where to hook up the frequency generator. any help would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'll see what I can dig up for schematics for this.

Shouldn't be too hard, a pulse generator circuit is basically just a 555 timer chip, a couple of resistors and capacitors. Maybe throw in some variable items to speed it up and down.

-Hans

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Here is a very simple one: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles...ArticleID=6235
Anyone knows what the output of the stock sender is voltage wise?
Also, how fast can you make the pulse generator go?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Most resistors/capacitor pairs I've seen have the pulse generators running at 68khz, which would equate to about 4 miles per second on your average speedometer. I doubt the speedo can go that fast, so throw in a couple variable resistors to make that slower if needed. You will need to do that near the end anyways, or you will rapidly blow past the desired mileage.

Your average 555 chip can run at a pretty wide variety of voltage ranges. Power the speedo with a 12v power supply, and the wiring for the Vehicle Speed Sensor should theoretically power the pulse generator.

-Hans

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
they want HOW much? Damn! You can build the parts for just $10 or so for a pulse generator.

-Hans
Thanks; I couldn't believe it either.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I experimented with this and it does work. My problem was that it was going to take something like 45 days of constant running to take the speedo to around 100k miles. If I turned up the pulse rate to fast, it stopped working. This was on a VDO Speedo. I opted to install it instead of waiting, but may go back this winter and let it run.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions