Pulling the harness through the frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Pulling the harness through the frame

I got the snake through the frame, but I can't the harness back through frame. The three plugs keep getting Hung up on something in the frame.
I was contemplating cutting off the plugs and running the wires through without the plugs, but I really didn't think this was a great idea.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Duct tape Make the thing you're pulling through streamlined with no jutting edges and space the plugs so they come one behind the other. You also may need to snake the wire again as it may have taken a bad route the first time.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Can you take the plugs apart? Will the metal spade (bullet or whatever) come out of the plastic piece? Some times a very small eye glass screwdriver or pick is needed to release them from the housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'll take at look at both options in the AM.
Thanks.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The newer frames do have areas that hang things up. Are you trying from the front or the rear? I did mine through the rear. Seems the newer frames you exit on the outside of the frame. The large black connector wouldn't fit through the inside hole. It was the battery direct power feed. I did end up cutting that one since I felt better feeding the harness on the inside. A lot of guys are keeping the harness on the outside of the frame for better access and getting away with the problem of feeding the harness.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
It's a bit of a task pulling through the wiring loom.
I started with a length of coaxial cable, when that was through I taped on the loom & made it as streamlined as possible, don't bunch the plugs up together. I fed the cable from front to the back. It took the best part of a day with breaks before finally it's a pain but worth it in the end. Always attach a cable to pull back the loom before pulling it out ( bit late now).
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:59 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

^^^ I agree, tape up the loom, stagger the plugs down the cable as much as you can so that it's as streamlined as poss.

Sometimes your pulling cable could have gone through some welded in braces inside the chassis rail, and the loom won't fit, so you'll have to pull back and re do it.

I've got a proper cable puller, like a large tape measure (spring steel), but thicker & narrower than a tape measure, but ideal for 'pushing' through, then tie to the loop on the end and pull back.

Like Mike says, sometimes i've done one in about half hour, sometimes it's taken all morning!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

I just did mine about a week ago. Used a fish (I think that's what electricians call it). Its a thin metal strip on a reel as mentioned in the above post. Fed it from the rear of the frame and then connected it to the harness and wrapped tightly with the blue painters masking tape. Don't overdo it on the wrapping because you want to leave some flexibility in there to get round some of the bends. It helps if you have someone feed the harness while you pull on the fish. Good luck with yours.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions