pulling engine and trans - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

pulling engine and trans

I am going to be pulling the engine and trans from my 94 D90--I am thinking of removing the front clip of the truck (radiator, grill, and everything in front) and pulling the engine and trans at the same time. I think it would be easier than removing the engine and then dropping the trans, but would like to get input from those that have tried.

My thought is to remove the front stuff off the truck, take off the tunnel cover and remove the shifting linkages, drop the cross member and pull it all right out. That way I can mate the new R380 to the new engine and old LT230 in my garage and reverse the order for installation. Probably take only a 1/2 hour. (running joke--my wife always asks me how long things take and I always tell her about 1/2 hour).

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

big lumps are more fun than little lumps. I'd give it at least 3 half hrs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
that is how I did my drivetrain swap although I did end up pulling just the engine again, about six or seven times. and i did end up removing the floors and center cover. but i was getting into slightly uncharted territory vs. a 1 to 1 swapover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think its a lot easier to get trans to mate to a motor when its not in the truck, I never seem to get the splines in the right place and it takes me several attempts at gettin' in there and playing with it. It seems easier to mate a t-case to the trans in situ than a trans to the motor.

I pulled all 3 together on both the 90 and the 110. On the 90, I had the front clip off, on the 110, I already had the bulkhead off. Its doable, but its a lot of swinging mass on the end of your hoist - just be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 26th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I put the engine/trans in as an assembly when I built the truck but the bulkhead was not in--that is the way to do it! I can certainly see how the weight of the transfer/transmission would want to slam to the ground when you cant get much of a stabilizing chain further back, but I bet it won't be too bad. Looking forward to it!
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Finished my RRC last night (for all intents and purposes) so now onto the D90! My game plan is pull the floors and trans tunnel, remove shifting linkages, and remove the big-ass lump. If any have last minute advice on navigating such a large lump out (if there are any hang-up points, ect) please don't be shy in telling me! ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine