Pulling an OM617 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2014, 07:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Pulling an OM617

Attached are a few shots of pulling and transporting an OM617 this past weekend in the rain.
Note my friend Robbie at work.
We had the engine out and transmission & torque converter off in 1 hr 45 minutes.
We paid under $500 less the core charges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	92166   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	92167  

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	92168   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	92169  

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	92170  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 08:20 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Nice. So what are the plans? Full rebuild?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:24 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Nice. So what are the plans? Full rebuild?
No am going to run it and see how it does.
If OK will install it in a 110.

The car odometer showed 225,000 miles so the engine is just getting broken in if it was cared for and good for another 775,000 miles before it will need a rebuild.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2014, 09:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The car odometer showed 225,000 miles so the engine is just getting broken in if it was cared for and good for another 775,000 miles before it will need a rebuild.
It was in a junkyard car, so it must have been cared for.
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Now I understand why your Sankey's don't rust out. The inside of that thing is a superfund site

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 31st, 2014, 10:41 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
It was in a junkyard car, so it must have been cared for.
So far have never bought a bad OM617 in a junkyard.
The vehicles rust out, transmissions go bad, but as lucky as it is the engines have all run fine.
Am casual friends with one of the managers and he told me the car this engine came out of was driven in.
Someone got the injectors before we pulled it.
We adjust the valves, install new glow plugs, remove the injectors and pop test them and check the spray pattern and install new nozzles when needed.

The OM617 in my 110 has unknown mileage and still bears the junkyard paint signature.
Did the above maintenance and when testing the gear reduction starter, it started and ran unexpectedly without any glow.
To date, have gone just over 16,000 miles and it runs like new.
No smoke and uses no oil.

In 1976, due to the oil crisis and the need for more frugal engines, Mercedes-Benz engineers installed the new three-liter diesel engine with five cylinders in the C 111-II for the first tests. In the car, now called C 111-IID, the OM 617 LA engine developed as much as 190 hp, thanks to turbocharging and intercooling, as opposed to the 80 hp output of the production N/A engine which powered the Mercedes-Benz 240 D 3.0. In June 1976, the Mercedes-Benz C 111-IID reached spectacular speeds on the test track at Nardo near Lecce in Italy. In the course of 60 hours, four drivers established a total of 16 world records – thirteen of these applying to diesel-engined cars and three to cars in general, irrespective of their type of engine. During the tests, an average speed of 156 mph (252 km/h) was recorded.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mer...ge-01-1024.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Now I understand why your Sankey's don't rust out.
That black bottom is just shadows.

Old April 1st, 2014, 07:18 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

In 1977, encouraged by the record breaking C 111-IID, Mercedes-Benz set about creating a car designed specifically for establishing speed records. Designated the Mercedes-Benz C 111-III the new car was narrower than the first C 111, had a longer wheelbase and improved aerodynamic properties, thanks to complete streamlining and rear airfoils. The 230 horsepower diesel engine managed to propel the C 111-III to over 186 mph (300 km/h). With this new car Mercedes-Benz established nine absolute world records in the late 1970s.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...enz_C_111.html

Old April 1st, 2014, 08:10 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Remember all the articles about that when I was a kid. So futuristic!!!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:31 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
That's crazy! The merc diesel is very impressive
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The OM617 was used in US imported cars from 1976 - 1985.
G-class through the 1990s.
Then it was used in the Hugglund tracked and other military vehicles until production ceased in 2001 (so I am told).

According to the parts guy at our local dealership, the OM617 had the longest production run of any Mercedes engine.
Most parts are still available.
We are putting an OM617 with am M-series IP in a 450SL later this year.
With correct gearing, an intercooler, and manual 4 or 5 speed the 165 HP performance should drive OK.
Unlike the first OM617 race in Italy during the land speed endurance trials, we won't have a 60 hour run with an average speed of 156 mph!

Old April 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Engine out and tranny free in under 2 hours is impressive!

Saw this over on SuperTurboDiesel.com - not the OM617 but a 5 cylinder Merc TD the 605:

Black Smoke Racing Build Bio:

EP 1 :
EP 2 :
EP 3 :
EP 4 :
EP 5 :
EP 6 :
EP 7 : h

At the very least watch EP 6. A little slow but it shows IP tuning which is very informative, at least to me. The Volvo tractor pull rig looks brutal and sounds like it puts down some power. EP 3 and 4 are cool too as it show the head and block of a Merc TD getting rebuilt. Some of the conditions are interesting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions