PS Pump replacement tips? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

PS Pump replacement tips?

This is on a v belt truck. About to replace ps pump (and what a sweet hell it was to find one). Any tips on the process or other things that should be done while in there? Last one I did was on my '94 90 and that was about 15 years ago.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
This is on a v belt truck. About to replace ps pump (and what a sweet hell it was to find one). Any tips on the process or other things that should be done while in there? Last one I did was on my '94 90 and that was about 15 years ago.
Thanks
Really?? Why so hard to source?

I havent done one in 8 years or so and as I recall it's....tedious.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Short of spending big money at AB (>$300) or bigger at RN they appear to not be being rebuilt by the people that supply conventional car part retailers.

I seem to remember the same thing. Seems obvious to do the lines at the same time. I seem to remember wishing I'd pulled the radiator last time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Short of spending big money at AB (>$300) or bigger at RN they appear to not be being rebuilt by the people that supply conventional car part retailers.

I seem to remember the same thing. Seems obvious to do the lines at the same time. I seem to remember wishing I'd pulled the radiator last time.
At least do the high pressure line, maybe wait on the others.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Tony:
You didn't state the vehicle you are working on.
Just that it had a V belt.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

1991 RRC with 3.9.

Old March 30th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Just did this in January. I found my pump on ebay… new for 160 shipped.

It's a pain but not difficult. You don't need to pull the rad. I pulled the alt and you may want to pull the dizzy. The bolt in the back is a pain to get to.

Have a big catch pan for all the PS fluid you'll loose.

I always have a hard time getting the belt tensioned properly. Never can find a good leverage point.
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:45 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Yup, big catch pan is a must. Clean inside the engine bay thoroughly for splashed fluid and follow procedures for proper bleeding.
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Yup, big catch pan is a must. Clean inside the engine bay thoroughly for splashed fluid and follow procedures for proper bleeding.
And what a waste of all that power steering fluid that burns so well in the diesel fuel tank.
Have done the V8 PS pump many times and the parts are not too hard to find, pulley swaps easy and bolts right in.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I also sourced from eBay for $170 shipped.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions