PS box replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
PS box replacement

I have changed the steering box before but I just wanted to put my self out there for any pointers to make the process easier.
Last tiem I followed the LR manual but centering the steering was kind of a PITA. any pointers around getting it back in right the first time?

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB
Getting the wheel to be right the first time was always hard when I was a tech with the LR dealer I worked for. I found that if you make sure the dowl hole lined up with the gap in the pitman arm it is the center of the steering box's movement( m8x1.25 bolt???). I would try to get everything unbolted with the wheels pointed straight ahead and the steering wheel straight. If you keep the wheels on the ground and the steering wheel is straight the only adjustment you might have to make is the drag link hooking up with the pitman arm. I also always tried to loosen the drag link and make sure I could adjust it before I took everything apart, this made adjusting it easyier later.

Hope that helps and good luck. I also found it easies to bleed the system by filling the system, cranking the vehicle, letting it run for about 30 seconds, shutting it off, then opening the bleeder screw on the box to allow the air in the box to escape. Then I would go through the bleeding process where you crank it and turn the wheel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions