Proper way to repaint - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI
Proper way to repaint

I just took the plunge on a 1985 D-90 that is currently in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A few may have seen it listed here. Luckily for me, I live close to the border and I do quite a bit of business in Canada. I have a friend that will let me store it for nothing, I can get everything in tip top shape, and then bring it down in a little bit more than one years time. I figured that for a vehicle that was in decent shape,already converted to LHD and has a 300 tdi, it was worth a bit of a wait. That being said, the original color of the chassis is orange. I have no problem with the color, but there are some spots where the paint is starting to flake off. I do not see a lot of orange rovers on this site, but I was wondering what sort of process needs to take place since it is aluminum. Would it need to be stripped and anodized? Or are there cheaper alternatives that I could do myself. Thanks for any tips. FYI, I did do a search, but I had trouble finding any answer I found helpful.

Old September 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
83 110
I'm in the same boat paint wise, but congrats on the purchase. There was another guy looking for one in Canada, but I didn't want to mention yours, not knowing if you had bought it yet. Did you get any pics yet? As far as the paint, I don't think its anything excessive you have to do to prepare it for paint, but i'll check with my auto body teachers at work on Monday if you'd like.

Us 1985 guys have to stick together, for at least the next 2 years!

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI
Thanks for the encouragement, it was getting a little lonely on here. I was able to find out limited info on repaint issues on this site that was a little help, but i was hoping for a personal touch and some reccomendations. I will post some photos of the rover on here(if I can) so that people might be able to give ideas on what would need to be done, and other adjustments or modifactions I should consider. I do have a friend that works at a well known rover shop, which posts a lot of info on this site, so I am sure he will be helpful. I have yet to lay hand on the rig, and have only seen photos. But I am lucky enough to have some friends in Halifax who were able to check it out for me. They couldn't believe I was buying an old truck, but they understood once I told them about the following that they have here in the states.

here she is as it was advertised on ebay I dont know if the pictures will come up though, I am new to this stuff.

This is a Very Solid truck. The VIN # salldvac7aa245657 the truck is registered, safetied and on the road as my daily driver here in Halifax, NS Canada. There are 205,000 miles on the body but only 95,000 miles on the upgraded engine which was replaced in 2000. Here is a laundry list of parts;

300 TDI Engine which provides 32mpg
LT77 transmission 5 spd, rebuilt in 2000
LT230, 1.22 High Ratio Transfer Box, new 2002 from Ashcroft's, allows comfortable highway cruising
Heavy Duty Starter battery
Heavy Duty Winch Bumper with Defender jack points, galvanized
9000 lb Superwinch with strops, snatch block, shackles
Heavy Duty Rock Sliders with jacking points, Galvanized
Heavy Duty Suspension, Shocks and springs, Front and Rear 1 1/2' lift
Push Bar with Light Guards, Galvanized
Basket type Roof Rack with mess floor and Access Ladder, Galvanized
Six Point Roll Cage, chassis mounted, Galvanized
Towing Hitch, removable, Galvanized
New Bulkhead 1997
Chassis with Rear Crossmember installed in 2000
Rebuilt Diffs
Rebuild Front Ends and Swivel balls
4 Roll Bar Mounted Off Road Flood Lights( not wired)
Alloy 5 Spoke Freestyle Wheels(5)
Alluminum Diamond Plate inside Rear Door Cover
Kenlowe Thermal electric cooling fan, with ajustable set point, or switch off for wading
Ram Air heater intake scoope
Winter engine blanket- Grill cover
Leather Wrapped wheel
Parts manual

Brake Calipers
Brake Pads
Brake Shoes
Diff Stabilizer
Water Pump
Full Exhaust Front to Rear
Tie Rod Ends

This vehicle was imported from England December 2000, with the stock 2.5 liter N/A diesel. The Steering conversion was completed in England prior to shipping. This Land Rover is in great shape which is rare to find. There are a couple of minor issues; The u-joints with have to be replaced, the fan motor for the heater needs to be replaced and the emergency brake is sticking. Also some spots on the paint are ruff/peeling where there is a bit if oxidization forming on the aluminum body. This is a great truck and Im sad to see it go. The only reason Im selling it is because of a lifestyle change.

On Aug-26-08 at 14:17:36 PDT, seller added the following pictures:

Select a picture

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
Just a thought, but why not title it in your friend from Halifax's name and have them come visit in the truck and fly home. When the two years is up transfer ownership to you here in the states. Not sure of the legalities, but I would have a hard time buying a truck sight unseen and then waiting two years to take ownership. Three months had me going nuts...
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI
I have thought about, believe me I have thought about it. I have more than one friend living in the maritimes, and I go there a couple times a year, and they come here a couple times a year, they would bring it down for me in a heartbeat. I also thought about registering the truck up there under my name, by getting a po box up there or whatever would be required, I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts, but I also don't want to get into any trouble either. I wonder if they brought it down to me, and then flew back, if registering here in two years would be in issue? Do they require customs paperwork when you register something like this? I would have no problem at all getting it across the border, I just don't want to get it taken awy from me.
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
97 D-90
I would say it really depends on how many canadian license plates one usually sees in searsmont. if its alot, you should be fine. if its a rarity some cop will pull you over one day and give you a ticket which isnt the end of the world i guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions