Proper waterpump torque? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Proper waterpump torque?

My FSM says to torque the waterpump boits to 28 Nm. I used an online units converter to tell me this is 2.8 Kg/m or 6.2 pounds (i think) which is what my torque wrench uses. But these values are too low for my crappy torque wrench.

Should get a baby torque wrench that can accurately do low pressure, or is it safe to tighten by feel?

BTW, relatively speaking, replacing the waterpump on a defender is a pain in the arse.

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL! It's not that bad after you have pulled a few off. If you do it by hand be real careful! They strip and break real easy, trust me I know.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, I guess it's been long enough that I shouldn't be in a hurry now. I'll pickup a baby torque wrench tomorrow.

Regarding the difficulty, perhaps I'm confusing the issue with the fact I was replacing the belts, and in order to replace the power steering pump belt I had to completely unmount the power steering pump, which necessitated the removal of the distributor

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL! I to get the PS pump belt off this time I took the crank pulley off, it's only 1 belt but it's on by a matter of a zillion ftlbs of torc. If you can't find a torc wrench I would use a screwdriver type socket driver that way you can't over do it.
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hey Mike

I got a torque wrench, but 28 Nm seems way too much for the little bolts. I'm scared to over tighten them! I tigheted the big guys to 28, and will wing it with my hand tightening (which is more like 15-20) on the others for now.

Then I went to fire her up and it seems I screwed up the timing bad enough to not even start. Is there a quick way to test its at least not 180 degrees off? I know I can pull the #1 plug, and turn the crank over untill the #1 piston is at the top of its compression stroke and see if the rotor is pointing to the right pin, but was hoping for a quicker method.

I got a flexalite 210 from will, but think this will need to wait until after the trip as I need to relo my tranny cooler still.

BTW, whats the progress on your engine? I bet your doign about 20 times what I am doing, yet at the rate I am going I am fearful I wont have this POS on the road by rausch. LOL.

charles
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

First time I tried mine, I was also 180 off. I just moved all the spark plug wires over 4 spots, and been running like that ever since.

I also used to think the water pump was a beast, until I had it on and off 3 or 4 times due to torn gaskets, wrong bolts in the wrong holes, broken bolts in timing cover.... all the fun of changing head gaskets in 15 degree weather :-)

Now, changing the belt on the power steering pump on my '94.... that's still way more difficult than it should be.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If Hans's methode don't work post up and I will post how to set the timming if you don't have a manual. Again I didn't think it was all that hard, the most difficult part is turning the oil pump shaft so it lines up with the slot on the end of the distributor. And the only special tools you would need is a 12 point 8 mm socket to get the bolts out of the rocker cover, and a timming light if you want to set it acuretly ( I was lucky, my dad had one from when I was his age and he thought it was cool that some vehicals still need one!).
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks. I've got a manual and also a timing light once its running. I'll give it a try tonight (pondering Hans' method, but it might be just as easy do pull a plug since i could botch the wiring order, and then would have to sort that out )

charles
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The problem with just pulling a plug is that it will only tell you if it's at TDC. BUT it could be either at the top of the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. You would have to pull the valve cover to look at which valves are doing what.

-Hans

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
naah. thats why man has thumbs! Plug it with your thumb and you can feel the pressure on the compression stroke

BTDT on lesser vehicles, its just been a long time since I have done any mechanics. My dad was "old school" too, and [un]fortunately all my mechanical experience stem from his
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

True, True.... you got me there :-) Totally forgot about that

-Hans

Old April 17th, 2005, 09:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
After a rather long detour over a loose connection at the starter and a blown fuse (and me mucking up the works), I got back to the task at hand, and after consulting Mike, I properly determined my distributor position and I was about 90 degress off. Easily fixed and she started right up.

So far no leaks and even have most of the interior put back in

Viscous fan and cowl are still off, as I am venturing to install the flexalite I just bought. seems to clear the tranny cooler!

Thanks again to Mike for setting me straight.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water